A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Disorders Community
26.1k Members

help I'm desperate

dear dr.Lupo
I'm desperate, looking for answers. My TSH level is 25.1 and I need to know if this is dangerous. My Doctor is calm and cool. but when I look at other people postings 25.1 is extreme. I'm feeling very sick. Please write back. Is this something i need to worry about. Thanks DEB
7 Responses
please post the other levels and the normal ranges for comparison.  as well as if you are on medication, how much and for how long?
1391114 tn?1279954121
See a different doctor. When your TSH is at 10 you should be treated for the most part. Even more so if you're feeling crappy. Consider going straight to an endocrinologist.
Your Tsh is way to high
1097839 tn?1344579942
has your doctor prescribed anything? it sounds like you should be probably be started on thyroxine with a TSH of 25.1, I'm no expert or doctor but hope thyroxine would help you. if your doctor hasn't recommended any action with a TSH reading like that then I agree with Azcate and suggest you get yourself a second opinion, pronto. wishing you well.
This is a patient forum, so you probably won't get a response from Dr. Lupo.

Your TSH is just too high, and you also need to get your FT3 and FT4 checked to determine those levels. Along with that, the 24 hour saliva test to determine if your adrenals are functioning properly as well.

Next, I suggest the TPoab and TGab antibody tests to determine if Hashimoto's is to blame.

Finally, with such a high TSH, a CT of the pituitary gland might be in order if your Hashi tests are negative.

If you are unhappy with your doctor, switch! I've been through four endos. I've been too sick before to let a doctor get in the way of my good health.

This is the site where I found my new endo. This list isn't perfect. Make sure the doc tests and treats both sets of frees - FT3 and FT4.
http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/
:) Tamra
1139187 tn?1355706647
Wow...25.1.  You need to be really careful.  Once you get on meeds you will feel better, but different.  I agree with tamra...  Please keep us posted
a TSH of 25 is high and requires some further investigation and treatment.. I hope that your doctor is monitoring and providing answers for you, if not then you should definitely seek another provider.

Hopefully to calm your fears with a TSH of 25... My TSH was 102 a few months ago, i'm on treatment of course and now down to 14 but i hope this helps you feel better to know that TSH can get WAY up there and you can be ok.. Just make sure you are seeing a provider to treat you.
Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.