Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

high TSh normal T4

HIgh tsh and normal t4 is called euthyroid? or not?
only high  12.0 tsh and normal free t4 can be associated with abortion?
I don't totally understand your questions.

What exactly is your TSH?

What is your FT4 and its reference range?

You have had miscarriages?
I have Hypothyroidism, but my symptoms are hyper.  My TSH was a 13, retested at 11.8, my free T4 was normal low.  From what I have found, when your TSH is high, your pitutiary gland is telling your thyroid to produce more thyroid hormone because your body is low.   What symptoms are you having?
High TSH and normal T4 is still hypothyroid.  This means you need thyroid hormone to reduce the TSH.

High TSH can be associated with miscarriage.  It will be important to take meds to get your TSH down (Low normal ideal - about 0.5 - 1.0 range).

Hope this helps
I disagree with you that as a blanket statement "high TSH and normal T4 is still hypo".  If both FT3 and FT4 are in the normal range, but TSH remains high, then you have to start looking at symptoms.  If you have any hyper symptoms, you have to suspect a pituitary problem, or some other issue (of the hundreds) that makes TSH correlate so badly with symptoms.

High TSH, PER SE, is not associated with any ailment (including miscarriage).  It is only if high TSH reflects insufficinet FT3 and FT4 that it causes problems.

Also, a TSH of 0.5-1.0 is not a one-size-fits-all TSH.  Many of us would be absolutely miserable in that range.  Also, it's really important to de-emphasize TSH and focus on FT3 and FT4.  I'm convinced that once you find the FT3 that YOU FEEL GOOD AT, you can use it to adjust meds optimally.

Everyone knows about subclinical hypothyroidism...normal labs, but you feel terrible.  We hear this all the time.  However, I've been fighting long and hard to get some recognition for the opposite side of this coin...my TSH (23) makes me look sick, sick, sick, but my FT3 and FT4 are normal and I feel absolutely fine.  I have a pituitary issue.  My PCP attempted to kill me getting my TSH down to that "ideal" level.  It never will get there, I now know.  There are many others, who don't have a pituitary issue, who are also not comfortable at 0.5-1.0.  

It's all very individual.
I too am one of the 'oddballs' who doesnt do well if my TSH is under 2.3.......it feels like He// on Earth! lol.
My FT3 & FT4 are fine at present but the TSH is 2.55 and yet I STILL feel good.
My Doc agrees with everything in your posting.
Hes told me all along to 'forget ' the TSH until the FT3 & FT4 are fine and I am comfortable with it.I have had my TSH at 6.0 and its he// and also at 2.0 and its he//.
I think we all have different bodies and hence we all feel better at a TSH which is different to everyone else.
I always say....stick to what the Frees are first then work out the TSH after that.
I totally agree with your posting.
And I have no problem with the Pituitary either.
Hello, i m a 61 y old woman that i have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, but i had hyperthyroidism symptoms.The doctors have given me to take Euthyrox 50 mg. The laboratory findings were the follow:
TSH 7.47 miuIU/ml

FT4 0.95 ng/dl

FT3 3.29 pg/ml

What exactly  do i have?Any help appreciated
Do you have the reference ranges for your FT3 and FT4?  All labs use different ranges, so they have to be from your lab report.

Are those labs before or after you started the 50 Euthyrox?

What were your symptoms before starting and have they improved/worsened?
yes the normal levels for TSH are 0.35-5.50, for the FT4 is 0.89-4.20 and for the FT3 is 3.30-4.20.
These lab results were before i have started the euthyroid but the symptoms are improved.
You have hypothyroidism.  Your TSH is above the range, which is currently accepted as 0.3-3.0.  Your lab is using an obsolete range (most labs do).  In addition, your FT4 is at the very bottom of the range and your FT3 is slightly below.  All this indicates a pretty classic case of hypo.

The 50 mcg Euthyrox you're on is an appropriate beginning.  I'm glad to hear that your symptoms are improving. You should have lab work again five to six weeks after starting the meds.  Your doctor will then be able to reevaluate and see if you need an increase or if the 50 mcg seems to be doing the trick.  

What were your hyperthyroid symptoms?
Your labs (and your age) are nearly identical to mine. I have had hyper symptoms (weight loss, palpitations, anxiety, frequent bowel movements) for the past 2 months. Is the Euthyrox effective against these problems? My endo says he doesn't  treat unless the TSH is over 10.
What are your FT3, FT4 and TSH and their ranges?
My TSH is 7.49 (down on its own from 12.45 in early June), range of .40 - 4.50;
free t3 is 1.0 with a range of .8 -1.8,free t4 279 range of 230-420.
Also elevated thyroglobulin, 101 with a normal range of 2.0 to 35.0,
but no antibodies showing.
All this started with an evaluation for palpitations. I appreciate all the wisdom on this site-apparently this thyroid business is a tough knot to unravel.