Thyroid Disorders Community

holistic medicine

Has anyone tried alternitive methods to help with thyroid problems. We know the side effects to HRT so has anyone had any success in trying different medicines?
I have seen naturopath who will request labs and read them as well as the MD.  They can prescribe meds and help with supplements.  My ND found out through a saliva test that my adrenals were fatigued.  My MD would not bother with this.  My ND put me on DHEA 5mgs at night to help with my adrenals.  I am also on synthroid prescribed by my MD.  With both doctors, I feel I am finally getting somewhere.  I think the adrenals play a big part in the thyroid problem.  I also take Vit D3 and B complex with C.  Hope this helps.
Yes it does I am just looking for different ways to approach this.
before i was diangosed, after i had mono, some of my friends recommended astragalus (got it from GNC). i didnt know i had hypothyroidism at the time, and it worked for a little while then would stop working. so i'd stop taking it, then get sicker, then start taking it again and it'd work again for a while. it contains selenium, which i think i've read could help with hypothyroidism. apparently long term use of selenium  is not recommended though, and i found it stopped working after a while anyways.
since i got diangosed ive been on synthroid, and its pretty good!