Thyroid Disorders Community

i have got increased weight gain

michelle here i have got increased weight gain and ive tried everything to loose it but it just wont go away im on 150 mg of thyroxine and im also on quitiapine for Generised anziety disorders my dose on quitiapine is 225 mg and its not high but average my metabolism is fluctarating i wont be getting blood until feb or march can you please explain whats happeming jere
COMMUNITY LEADER
Do you mean you're on 150 mcg thyroxine, rather than mg?  150 mg is an astronomical amount.

It sounds like you've gone hypo and may need an increase in your hormone medication. That said, some of us have a really hard time losing weight with hypothyroidism.

Some anti-anxiety and/or anti-depressants cause weight gain. A frequent side effect of quetiapine is weight gain. You might talk to your doctor and see if there is a medication that could give the same results without the side effect.  
michelle here barb does hypo make you feel very tired and depressed yeah i think im 150 mcg  of thyroxine cause ive feeled alot of over stressed and have recurrent coldsores keep coming up
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes, hypo can make you very tired and depressed, but so can other things.  

What tests have you had done for your thyroid and what were the test results?  Be sure to include reference ranges, as those vary lab to lab and must come from your own report.  You should be getting TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 every time you have thyroid labs.  

Do you know if you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis?

Talk to your doctor about the antidepressant.
michelle here i will get my bloods tested on tuesday and let you know how it is thanks for your  advice
COMMUNITY LEADER
I'll look forward to seeing your lab results.  Be sure to post the reference rances, as well, since those vary lab to lab.