Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

insomina, panic, anxiety?

I'm a 40 y.o male and I've been treating my hypothyroid issue for...20 years now. I'm currently on 112 of synthroid. I've been dealing with panic attacks and anxiety for...huh...20 years now. It recently has gotten very bad and I assumed that it was due to a job change but I'm starting to think it might be more. I was doing a google search this morning because on top of the panic attacks I've been having insomnia/racing thoughts. About 2 in the morning...for weeks I keep thinking wtf is wrong with me. The doctor has loaded me up with prescriptions: paxil, ambien, lorazepam. The ambien is barely helping me sleep now. I'm a mess and I hate taking any medication.  

I've been reading around this forum and I've been finding some interesting info which has generated some questions.

I've always had whatever test the doctor has ordered for my thyroid and then they adjusted my medication as necessary. I've been on 112 for a few months now but _is it possible_ that even though my recent blood test came back normal that I'm on too high a dosage and that's causing my panic/anxiety/racing thoughts/insomnia? I'm also very lethargic and I've gained weight. I was going to the gym several times a week but in the past few months I've just stopped caring and can't motivate myself to even go for a walk.

I'm a mess and I need help but I'm not sure where to begin.

I think the best place for us to begin is to have a look at the actual thyroid test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.  Just because results fall within the so-called "normal' range does not mean they are right for you.