A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members
458072 tn?1291418786

lexapro

MD has RX'd lexapro for the anxiety. what is your opinion of taking this med or riding out the anxiety? The anxiety is severe, but I am thinking what is the best or others experience.
23 Responses
461147 tn?1214593029
i have taken lexapro before and had no problems with it (i had problems with some other ones).  if the anxiety is interfering with your life, and you want to do something about it, i would recommend the lexapro.  i didn't have any problems while i was on it, or when i came off of it either.  you have to do what you think is best for you :)
168348 tn?1379360675
Do you have anxiety since the surgery in regard to anxiety over something or do you think it is med induced?

Chreyl
458072 tn?1291418786
I think it is med induced, however, I had anxiety at the hypo level.
455126 tn?1212435798
I have taken cipralex in the past (the Canadian equivalent to Lexapro) and I had no problems on it at all.  I'm thinking, actually, that I could use some more of that great drug!  This diagnosis and the treatment has been very difficult for me, and I think it would be helpful in getting over the "hump".
458072 tn?1291418786
what about when or if you want to get off of it?
314892 tn?1264627503
I am weaning off of Lexapro now.
I was "put" on it instead of treating my mild hypothyroidism. I had terrible anxiety and insomnia when my TSH rose just slightly.
I was on 10 mg for 6 months and had no real trouble. Some nausea and hot flashes the first week and then nothing. I didn't even know I was taking it.
I have weaned off VERY slowly. I first went to 7.5 (3/4) pill and was naseuous for a week and stayed on that dose for a month. Then doen to 5 mg and now I am on 2.5 mg.
No big issues getting off for me.
I think if the anxiety is due to the thyroid condition, a med like Ativan ( or other benzodiazepenes) are a better way to go. You can take them as needed and stopping them is easier. As long as you don't take them around the clock for an extended period. I took these as well before and after going on Lexapro. I haven't needed them since my TSH levels are more normal.
I hope some of what I said has helped you.
Good luck!
Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534637300
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.