Thyroid Disorders Community

low 3rd gen T3

I have been treated for Hypothyroidism for decades. I take 225 mg of Synthyroid a day. I just had blood work done and my TSH 3rd generation was 0.02, my T4 free was 1.7. From what I am reading the TSH 3rd generation means I am hyperthyroidism not hypothyroidism. I am just wondering if that is possible or what could cause it to change liek that. Any comments suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Doctors persist in telling us that TSH is all they need to diagnose and treat hypothyroidism  Unfortunately, there is no scientific evidence that TSH correlates well with either of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3,and Free T4, much less correlates well with symptoms, which should be the main concern for the patient and the doctor.  That is the case even before taking thyroid med.

After a hypo patient starts taking thyroid med, scientific studies have shown that TSH often becomes suppressed below range.  That does not automatically mean you have become hyperthyroid, unless you do have hyper symptoms, due to excessive levels of Free T3 and Free T4.  

Your Free T4 is, I expect, at the high end of its range.  The doctor probably kept increasing your T4 med in an effort to relieve hypo symptoms.  Unfortunately, the patient often does not adequately convert all that T4 to T3, which results in Free T3 being too low in the range, and lingering hypo symptoms.  I went through that myself for over 25 years, until I learned about the importance of Free T3.  Scientific studies have shown that Free T3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while Free T4 and TSH did not correlate at all.  When I got my Free T3 tested for the first time, it was confirmed as low in the range, and I convinced my doctor to change my meds to include a source of T3.  Now, after some adjusting and tweaking I feel best I can even remember.  

So please describe for us how you were feeling on the 225 mcg of T4.  Any lingering hypo symptoms?