Thyroid Disorders Community

lump in my throat after thyroidectomy

A had half of my thryoid removed five months ago, I had a cancerous tumor, four months later I had a complete thyroidectomy because of the findings, the other half was clean.  A week after my surgery I developed a hematoma, I was told that eventually my body will absorb it.  It has now been a month and I still have the lump, although smaller.  The scar it perfect and otherwise I don't feel bad.  Is this something that usually takes a long time for my body to absorb? Is that normal after a hematoma?  I am presently out of town and myI general physician wants me to have a neck sonogram when I get back at the end of the month.  I will also have an appointment with the surgeon and the endocrinologist.  WORRIED!!!
I had fluid under my incision for a LONG time.  In fact, I am almost 7 weeks post op and if I tilt my neck back you can still see swelling.  The incision is fine.  I also feel a lump when I swallow.  I'm glad you are getting yours checked!  I was told thought that I should give it a minimum of 3 months of healing, and pretty much up to 9 months or a year.  They said I might continue to have this until then.  I did have fluid underneath in the form of a big lump for a long time though.  I hope you feel better!