need endo in San Antonio, Texas

I don't have an endo in San Antonio.  My thyroid is being VERY poorly managed in another town where I live part of the year.  I am wondering if I may be thyroid resistant- I take Synthroid but am still exhausted, moody, dry skin, brain fog, weight gain even though I am active and follow a good diet.  Many more symptoms.  I had been on a higher dose of Synthroid for 38 years- no problems.  Now, the new doc keeps me in the 'lab values', and I have felt like sh*t for 2 years- have told him repeatedly to no avail.  I need someone in San Antonio who is more aggressive about looking into how I FEEL, resistance, etc.  Do any of you have recommendations? Thank you.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
there is an excellent doc in houston if you are able to go see him.  I drove from Dallas to see the guy.  If you would like his name, please send me a PM.  Guy is at MD anderson hospital and does thyroid only.  No diabetes. bruce
Helpful - 0
Those doctors that I gave you were recommended by two of our members.  I have no personal experience with them.

You might mention to your doctor that just being in the low end of the ranges for FT3 and FT4 is not adequate to relieve symptoms because the ranges are too broad.  If the doctor is not familiar with why the AACE revised the range for TSH, it is because they finally decided that there were a lot more hypo patients than the 2.5% that they assumed when they drew the original range limits.  When they went back and purged from the TSH data base any patients that were suspect for being hypo, and recalculated the range limits, they changed significantly.   The range went from .5 - 5.0 down to .3 - 3.0.  

The reference ranges for FT3 and FT4 were established based on the same assumption that  2.5% of patients were hypo and 2.5% hyper.  These ranges have never been revised like TSH.  With a background in statistical analysis, I have previously estimated that if the data bases were purged of suspect hypo patients, the range for FT3 would change from 2.3 - 4.2 up to 3.2 - 4.3 and the range for FT4 would change from .6 - 1.50 up to 1.0 - 1.55.  So essentially test results in the lower half of the current ranges should be suspect for being hypo.  It seems clear to me that this is why we hear from so many members with test results in the lower half of the ranges, yet they still have hypo symptoms.

In the interim, the ranges should be considered as guidelines within which to adjust FT3 and FT4 as necessary to relieve symptoms.  I don't know why this is such a stretch for so many doctors.
Helpful - 0
Thanks so much for the names.  Do you have personal experience with these doc's?  I am pretty shocked at the amount of people who post negative comments about their providers- but maybe that is because the nature of humans is to speak out when not pleased- less people speak out when happy.  I saw my neurosurgeon yesterday, and he was pretty shocked at how my endo was dealing with me- even he admits that he treats his patients by how the patient feels, not by lab values.  I was a registered nurse for 30 years, so I do know when I have symptoms that are inline with hypo, and I certainly do not want to do damage to my body. I hope one of these docs is good.......
Helpful - 0
I have two names for you.  Will send by PM.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Disorders Community