Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

subclinical hypo

I am 29yrs,trying to concieve,went for tsh it was 5.68 with t4 n t3 normal.doc had put me on eltroxin  25 mcg. how long does it takes to get normal n do i need to be on medication lifelong. vert worried plz help.
COMMUNITY LEADER
It takes the eltroxin approximately 4-6 weeks to reach peak potential in your blood.  What were the actual results of your T4 and T3?  And were those Free or Total T4 and T3?  Sometimes, even if levels are in the normal range, they are too low, so normal isn't always "normal".

Have you been tested for the thyroid antibodies, Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOab) and Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TGab)?.  You should ask to get those tested and if either are elevated, you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which would require lifelong replacement hormones.

There are other types of hypothyroidism that resolve on their own.  You'll need to determine the actual cause of your hypothyroidism in order to know whether you will be on the med for life.

There's really no need to worry; hypothyroidism is easily treated with the replacement hormones.
Thanks for the reply.my ft3 is 2.44 and ft4 is 1.12. I am even trying for pregnancy for past 1 year but in vain.bit worried.
You really want your tsh to be around 1 to conceive and your t3 at a good level. I spent years trying to get pregnant and it took a tsh at 1.12 with meds and t3 meds plus a blood thinner to calm my system to finally conceive naturally after years of treatment. I had my tsh & t3 tested monthly with medicine adjusted but my little guy still came early.