Aa
A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

synthroid vs. generic

Just a note to support all those who have warned against generic vs. name brand thyroxine. I posted here a couple weeks ago thinking my dosage was off only to find out the generic substitute was the culprit all along. Back on Synthroid and, most important, back to normal.
56 Responses
158939 tn?1274918797
I had the same problem and found the same solution.  I'm glad that you got it figured out and are back to normal.
Could you explain what your symptoms were?  I haven't heard anything regarding generic vs. namebrand.
Thanks
Charley
Cold extremities, inability to sweat even after strenuous exercise, allergies, brittle fingernails, aching joints(although my Dr. says that has nothing to do with it). Pretty much classic symptoms of hypothyroid. It seemed I couldn't get enough thyroxine in my system. Kept increasing dosage thinking I would ultimately get to the right level. I am not saying this applies to everyone and I was refusing to accept that generic was not "as good as" name brand. I am now a believer. Having said that, I will probably still buy Costco brand Ibuprofen. ;-)
I haven't had any of those and I am on levothyroxine - but I will keep that in mind.  Thanks for the info!
Charley
158939 tn?1274918797
If levothyroxine is working for you, great!  For many it works beautifully.  For my family and me we *have* to be on Synthroid or we get very hypo.  Others can't take Synthroid.  It's all crazy and many will tell you it's all in our heads but I disagree - some of us are very sensitive to specific medications.  

Just don't get between me and my Synthroid.  :-)
As I stated, I have always assumed generics were "equivalent" and never had any reason to question that belief until my experience with generic Synthroid. It may just be the brand my druggist carries. I, like you, will not try it again. Life is way to short, especially without a Thyroid. )
Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534637300
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.