Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

weird symptoms witha normal tsh

I am new to this forum.  I developed hypothyroid disorder about three years ago after undergoing treatment for hepatitis c (similar to chemo).  This past year I have been on and off sick with a lowgrade headache, full body ache, dizziness and heart palpitations.  I am frequently be sicker after sleeping for more than 7 hours, so whatever it is it likes to collect in my sleep or something....Recently I have felt like this everyday, so I went to my nurse practioner (a provider through my school) and she did the bloodwork; everything came back normal, my TSH is 1.23.  She is convinced it is not my thyroid, but I remain skeptical.  I am currently taking 88mcg of levoxythyroxine.  Has anyone else had similar issues?
TSH, a pituitary hormone, is a very poor diagnostic of thyroid status.  To really understand what is going on, your doctor must test free T3 and free T4.  These are the actual thyroid hormones and a much better profile of what's happening.  Be sure to ask for FREE T3 and FREE T4, which show the available hormones.  Otherwise, you will get total T3 and total T4, which are considered obsolete tests.

Once you have those, you can post the results if you'd like (be sure to ask for reference ranges as well since these vary lab to lab and have to come from your own lab report).

It sounds like you need a meds adjustment, but that's just a guess without seeing FT3 and FT4.
Sounds to me like you may be overmedicated, would recommend a new doctor if your current one is not willing to work with you :)
Thanks that what I kind of thought, I see an endocronologist soon so I now know what to ask for!