Thyroid Disorders Community

will Hypothyroidism give me permanent brain damage

I've had it for 7 years I'm gettin treated now, I'm 24. I'ts subclinical...
Please I am really really worried any information could help me a bit. Please someone say soemthing.
I have never seen any information indicating anything like that being permanent.  I have seen a scientific study that used scans to show reduced cerebral blood flow in several regions of the brain, caused by hypothyroidism.  After treatment with thyroid medication, normal conditions returned after a relatively short period of time.  
I got informed on the internet, yes, you can get permanent brain damage. In this site I found a woman that have had it for 12 years and she said "it definally left permanent damage".
The only long term effect I am aware of is with untreated infants with hypothyroidism, which can cause physical and mental problems. With adults, I think I would choose to believe scientific information rather than anecdotal.  Perhaps there was another problem that the woman thought was a residual effect from the hypothyroidism.  I know I have had hypothyroidism for well over 40 years and I was not diagnosed for quite a while and then under treated until 8 years ago.  Now that I have gotten my Free T4 and Free T3 levels optimized I feel better than I can even remember and I know of no residual effects.    

The most important thing for you right now is to find a good thyroid doctor that will treat clinically by testing and adjusting Free T4 and Free T3 as needed to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  Also make sure to be tested for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin and then supplement as needed to optimize.  D should be about 50, B12 in the upper end of the range, and ferritin should be about 70.  All three are important for a hypo patient.  
thank you. I asked on another forum and a guy said "Subclinical hypothyroidism (SCH), also called mild thyroid failure, is diagnosed when peripheral thyroid hormone levels are within normal reference laboratory range but serum thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) levels are mildly elevated.

Im surprised that you are STILL alive"
and kicking.  LOL
COMMUNITY LEADER
Perhaps the permanent damage the person was referring to was to her thyroid gland... When we have Hashimoto's, the antibodies destroy thyroid tissue and the damage to our thyroid gland "is" permanent, which is why we're left taking medication for the rest of our lives, since the thyroid can no longer produce the hormones we need.  

While many of us may have brain fog and/or trouble concentrating when we have hypothyroidism, as gimel said, we're not left with permanent brain damage.  Symptoms are alleviated once we get thyroid hormones optimized...
no, I mean permanent brain damage, I don't mean the thyroid. I hope you're right because I've been having this for 7 years untreated.
If it were true that hypothyroidism causes permanent brain damage, there would certainly be a lot of brain damaged people walking around... You have to understand that you can't believe everything you read on the internet and some people love to go for the shock effect.  You're worrying needlessly.
I've askeed to people that have hashimoto and so far everyoneof them told me they still have memory and focusing problems even though they have been on meds for even a decade and more.
I've been takign meds for more than a moth now and my tsh is normal now but I still have major memory loss and stuff.
That is because most people with primary thyroiditis (Hashi's) are not adequately medicated.  When taking thyroid med, TSH is basically useless as a diagnostic by which to medicate a hypo patient.  Hypo patients should be treated clinically, by testing and adjusting Free T4 and Free T3 as needed to  relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results, and especially not TSH levels.  Many patients find that in order to relieve symptoms the med dosage suppresses TSH below range.  Despite what a doctor might tell you that does not mean hyperthyroidism, unless there is hyper symptoms due to excessive levels of Free T4 and Free T3.  

Most of us have found that symptom relief required Free T4 at the middle of its range, at minimum, and Free T3 high enough in the upper part of its range to relieve symptoms.  In addition, as mentioned above, Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin are very important and need to be optimized.  

I was hypothyroid and inadequately tested, diagnosed and medicated for about 40 years.  I finally got up to 200 mcg of T4 med daily and still had lingering hypo symptoms, including fatigue, concentration problems, dry skin, weight gain, and many others.  .  Only after learning about the importance of Free T3 on this Forum did I finally make progress from that.  I got my doctor to test for Free T3 for the first time about 7 years ago, or so, and confirmed low in the range.  This is a common problem because hypo patients frequently do not adequately convert the T4 to T3.  

I got the doctor to switch me to a desiccated type med in order to provide some T3.  After some tweaking of dosage my Free T4 was slightly above mid-range, and Free T3 in the upper end of its range, and I felt better than I could even remember.  

Have you even been tested for Free T4 and Free T3?  If so, please post the results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.  If not you need to get those done and also Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin.   Also, what med are you taking and what is the daily dosage?
I didn't get t3 tested I'm taking levotiroxin 50gr
Were you tested for Free T4?  if so, please post the result and reference range shown on the lab report.  Diagnosing and medicating a thyroid patient based on TSH alone strictly does not work.  

You need to find a good thyroid doctor that will treat clinically as I described previously.