Traumatic Brain Injury Community

Memory loss in children

My 6 year old grand son is having to have extra help with math and reading and I learned is also having difficulty remembering his grandmother's (the other one) name and the name of his favorite fast food resturant (McDonalds).  Early on he had multiple ear infections and suffered hearing loss as well as last year being DX'd with severe visual loss.  Now wearing very thick glasses.  He fell down stairs when very small.  Had MRI with neg. results.  Also had stomach pumped due to ingesting mother's cymbalta.  I have recommended complete pediatric neurology work up.  Mothe thinks that Md is too laid back to make the referral.  He is very active and other wise normal.  His grandfather, mother both had learning disabilities (mother =dyslexic and grandfather too if they had had that DX back then.  Gr. father has DX of ADD and takes ritalin).  Should we look further or just not worry?

There are studies that show psychological stress during infancy has been found to cause early impaired memory and a decline in related cognitive abilities. These deficits occur in the hippocampus, a brain region involved in learning, storage and recall of learned memories, thus affecting learning and memory

However, with a family history of  learning disabilities as well as his history of trauma, it would be good to have your grand son be evaluated futher by a specialist and a complete neurologic examination be done. This is to ensure that none of his personal history of trauma, visual loss and ear infections could be the causeof his present condition.  

Take care and keep us posted.