Traumatic Brain Injury Community

Worried about my anxiety/depression am i normal?

I have quite bad depression which has got worse over the past few years. I also have extremely bad anxiety and paranoia especially about health issues. I think the worst of every situation and the genuinely think i am going to die, for example i could have a slight temperature and believe that i am developing meningitis then have extreme panic attacks and cry because I think im going to get it. Also i can barely leave the house as i am to afraid to go outside incase i get attacked etc... Am i losing my mind? Does it sound like i have another problem such as ocd etc?? This is just one thing but i have these kind of anxious feelings every single day and it ruins my life i walk around with constant anxiety and stress and its making my life a misery, i cant even work or be normal :(
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. Yes, you could be suffering from severe anxiety issues or maybe even paronias or fears. Anxiety is an excessive and exaggerated response to day to day experiences which normally do not require so much attention. Anxiety disorders usually start due to a traumatic experience, overwhelming stress and strain, broken homes, poor relationships, due to phobias, anxiety about health or it can also be a general anxiety disorder. Often anxiety is associated with depression. Hence it is important to find the cause of your anxiety through successful counseling sessions. Treatment depends upon the severity of symptoms and can be in the form of counseling, behavior therapy (BT), cognitive therapy, life style changes, medications (SSRI’s, benzodiazepines), and/or ECT(electroconvulsive therapy). Reduction in alcohol, nicotine, caffeine intake also reduces anxiety. Destressing and relaxation techniques like breathing exercises, yoga, and exercise (walking, swimming etc) should be tried. Please consult your doctor regarding this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.