Traumatic Brain Injury Community

ice skating fall

this site is amazing and scary and right now depressing.  I fell backward skating and hit my head hard, needing a few stitches.  I thought I was fine until I ate something, it took a little bit to realize I had no sense of smell or taste.  It's smell really.  Absolutely nothing for smell.  I do get salt a little and spice.  I have fasted in the past and wondered if there is anyone who knows anything about fasting and nerve regeneration.  It's really tuff to think this could be forever.  I feel for all of you out there lacking this sense.  My heart is with you, M
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
The loss of sense of smell may be temporary or permanent. It is temporary if it is due to concussion. It is one of the delayed symptoms of concussion. Injury to olfactory (related to smell) nerves, olfactory bulb in the brain, frontal and/or temporal lobes of the brain can all result in loss of smell. The injury can be in form of contusion or hemorrhage or damage to the nerves.
Please discuss this with a neurologist. If the loss is due to concussion, there is a chance that the sense of smell will come back.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!