Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Forum

Varicella confusion

My daughter had both varicella shots before starting grade school. There was a clerical error and her pediatrician at the time didn't mark down the second dose on the immunization card. She is now 12 years old and has a new pediatrician who is badgering me about this, telling me she needs a second dose. She had it already, ( she wouldn't be allowed in school if she didn't ) this is a clerical error, but no one will listen to me.

IS it safe for this doctor to give this a third time?? ( she won't get off my case, insisting my daughter get this, saying she should have had it at 4 years old...it's a confusing mess lol )

In general, it is safe. However, it may not be necessary. If you are willing to have the pediatrician's office perform a blood draw, immunity (antibodies) to varicella can be measured.

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical or legal advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.