Dentist/ TMJ/ TN/ facial pain...

Ok. So today was the worst day I can remember, as far as facial pain goes, for a REALLY long time. It hurt almost all day long, with very few breaks between the pain... So I went to fpa-support.org and did the self-assessment type profile... It shows TN type 2. What does that mean as a possibility? I made an appointment with my dentist for Wednesday, just to rule out anything oral. Does a dentist deal in diagnosing TMJ, or ruling it out? Or would I need to see my doc for that? I have an appointment with the doc on Monday, next week... I am so tired of my face hurting, especially the way it did today! Thanks in advance for answers! H
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
So went to the dentist today. He said I do have some TMJ disorder going on, although its worse on the left than the right (which is where the pain is). Xrays are negative for anything abnormal. He adjusted my bite and set me up to come back in a week to see if that helps the pain at all. Here's to hoping... :)
Helpful - 0
Hope that helps. How did he adjust your bite?
Helpful - 0
It  really didn't help. Still having pain. Pretty much daily now, for some reason. He made my teeth fit together better by grinding the backs. (After having a tooth pulled about 10 years ago and not having any type of replacement, my teeth have moved and aren't fitting together well.) Have another appointment in a week, trying antibiotics this week to try to rule out parotid gland infection... We'll see... Gotta rule out all the other possibilities, I guess. Even tho he does say I have TMJ disorder (worse on the left)... I don't want TN to be the diagnosis, by far, but looks like I am heading there.... :( An answer and treatment is better than not knowing tho. Like J.I. Joe, knowing is half the battle!
Helpful - 0
Sorry it didn't help. I recently got "lined up" with invisalign, it helped for awhile but then things went back to their old ways. No, I don't want it to be TN for you either. I am not sure of your history here, but have you been to a neurologist yet and any of the drugs for the nerve pain? Generally, if they work at all it is an indicator of that. They use some of them like Tegretol as a Dx tool. But harder with Type 2 of course...
Have you noticed anything that triggers it? Or helps it? keep a journal of this for your records as you do your investigations. It's hard to keep track otherwise. Good luck to you.
p.s. hot pack, horizontal, sleep helps me, although I don't always get to do that. Neuro told me sleep will "reset" your pain cycle. Sometimes works.
Helpful - 0
Thank you. I really hate it for anyone that has experience enough to give advice. It must be miserable to be the "old hat" at being in such pain. THank you for the advice you give. I am realizing that I have trouble concentrating and thinking clearly at times lately. You have a great ability to focus in and give good pointers.
Again,
Thank you!
H
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Trigeminal Neuralgia Community

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease