Trigeminal Neuralgia Community
455 Members

time of "session"

I am new at this. My "sessions" last around 4-6 hours. Is this typical? I take oxcarbazipine maintenance and generic Lortab at onset of "session". Is there anything I can do to lessen these "sessions"? It feels like nerve has to do it's thing and then decide to release. Is this true? Can I do anything to help "release" the nerve? Any thoughts would be welcome. I have only been taking medicine for a week and go for my next appt. on 9/24. I have been having daily "session" and sometimes twice a day. Is this normal? Thanks for you reply to my last question! Alice
Hey all, 2 weeks ago I was despondent and suicidal after suffering with TN (or "atypical facial neuralgia" in my case) for 7 months, many failed treatments, and no relief in sight. But I listened to my body and found a doctor who listened to ME (no small feat in and of itself!) and supported my belief that a chain reaction/perfect storm of muscle spasms, trigger points and "myofascial damage" were literally causing my upper-back and neck muscles to pull on muscles and nerves in my face -- thereby causing the horrific pain.

After one session of trigger point injections, I'm a new woman and most of my pain is almost gone! I have a long history of many major neck problems and surgeries...so this might not be a very common cause (who knew neck pain could make your eye and teeth hurt!?) but I wanted to put it out there as something for my fellow TN sufferers to consider -- so please think about whether this might apply to you! I know how indescribably torturous the pain of TN is and hope sharing this information might help even one person. If anyone wants to know more, feel free to send me a message.
-- S

If
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease