? common to have shoulder pain after carotid artery surgery

Is it normal to have serious shoulder pain from incesion on neck to rhombs? My bro-inlaw had this surgery over a month ago and is chronic pain. I give him massages that help but that lasts over night and pain is back. Sometimes he is sick feeling an hour or two later. I can't go deep because it hurts, myofascial ~ energy & pressure point is the most I do for him. What can cause such pain after this surgery? How is one laid during this surgery?

Thank you
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Pain after carotid surgery is often due to inflammation of the carotid artery or spinal accessory nerve or due to inflammation of the muscles or maybe a small abscess underneath. It would be wise to consult his surgeon to know the cause.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.