Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

19 yr old female with swollen salivary gland for over a year

Hi. The salivary gland on the left side of my face has been swollen for over a year now. I've experienced no pain from it and can't think of anything that may have triggered it. My doctor noticed the swelling a few months ago and said that it is common to find it in patients with bulimia. However, I am not bulimic. He said if it doesn't hurt and if it doesn't get worse, then there's no point in doing anything about it. It is constantly swollen, but it is only noticable if you are looking for it or if I have my hair up. I have read online about disorders like salivary gland stones and such, however, most of these problems are painful and I have no pain. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Thank you for your help.
-Cynthia
Thanks for writing to the forum!
A number of times glands swell in response to an infection and remain so for no reason. Since the lump is there for a year now you need not worry. You should worry only if the size increases, there is pain, change in color or texture or if the lump bleeds.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!