8 year old twitching a lot
I have an 8 year old son that has been twitching his head and neck and shoulders.  It started a few months ago and I just thought it was a nervous twitch so I didn't worry about it.  But lately he is doing it all of the time.  Even when he is sitting by himself infront of the T.V.  The twitch is a quick jurk of his head moving forward, or to the side.  Or his neck, or his shoulders moving up like a quick shrug.  When do you know it's more than a nervous twitch?  What are the other possible diagnosis that I can look into?  I wan't to take him to the doctor, but I just got a new job and I don't have insurance yet.  I don't want to take him in until we have it because I don't want them to turn him down for having a pre existing condition, if there is something that does need to get treated.  Do you have any suggestions?

It could be a tic disorder (consider googling for more info). Also, stress and/or a magnesium deficiency can cause twitching.

All the best,

PlateletGal
Thank you,  I just looked tic disorder up on google and that was very helpful.  Some of the symptoms were right on, others were more extreem.  He does have the ticks I read about, and the clearing of the throut, but not saying or yelling this out.  He also doesn't have a problem paying attention, or has have ADHD either.  Thank you for giving me an idea of where to look.

MotherOf2+1

You are very welcome. I'm glad the information was helpful to you.
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.