Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Acid Reflex

I am 54 years old. I have been clearing my throat more than normal for past 8-10 months. It seems there is phlem stuck in my throat all the time and sometimes it is much harder to bring it up. When I went to ENT specialist, I was told that it is connected to Acid Reflex. I do not feel any other symptoms of Acid reflex. Should I get second opinion. I also saw some blood in the phlem when I brought it up. I was diagnosed with IBS about 2 years back.
The doctor is right in making the diagnosis as GERD is one the definitive causes of these type of symptoms.

The sensation of something sticking in the throat is called globus hystericus. Globus hystericus is a subjective sensation where people feel a lump in the throat. At times, it is associated with difficulties swallowing. They are probably related to psychological problems. The most common cause is gastro esophageal reflux disease - GERD.
Diagnosis is by fibroptic laryngoscopy. Fiberoptic laryngoscopy also helps confirm the GERD diagnosis.

Gastroesophageal reflux is treated by elevating the head of the bed six to eight inches, avoiding foods and beverages for two to three hours before bedtime, and eliminating alcohol and caffeine from the daily diet. Antacids such as Mylanta, Gaviscon and drugs that block stomach acid production such as Zantac, Tagamet, or pepcid may be prescribed.

Other possibilities may be allergic rhinitis, sinus problems (for example sinus infection) and post nasal drip.

I feel that to clear any doubts,you can go in for a second opinion from a gastroenterologist.
Take care and pls do keep us posted on how you are doing.

How are you/
Blood in phlegm is certainly not a symptom of acid reflux. It can occur due to infection in the lungs, or due to vigorous coughing, inflammation of the nose, sinus or the airways.
Do you smoke?
Smoking is also one of the causes of blood in phlegm. I would suggest you to drink plenty of water as this may help with dry sinuses and nose. Also if the problem persists please seek a second opinion. Take care!
Your suggestions have been great help. I followed up on your suggestions regarding precautions and started Antacids and my symptoms reduced a lot.