Acute Pain while sneezing or coughing

Brief medical history: I'm a 27 yr old Caucasian female, 200lbs, type 1 diabetic. Current medications:450mg of Welbutrin daily and on a sliding scale for insulin. I was involved in 2 minor rear end collisions, one in April of 2008 and another about 3 weeks ago. I have experienced no pain from the recent collision.

On October 12, 2010 I noticed that anytime I sneeze or cough I feel an acute stabbing pain starting in my neck where it meets my shoulder blades and my spine directly between my shoulder blades. The pain will then travel through my abdomen over my entire body mostly through my joints. This pain will last for the duration of the sneeze or cough and the residual pain subsides within 20 to 30 seconds.

My sneezing is due to seasonal allergies, same with the cough.

Any idea what this means?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Costochondritis and arthritis too can cause these type of pains. Extreme exposure to cold, strenuous activity and muscle pull can be the other reasons. It could also be shingles if the area in front and the back is at the same level. Fibromyalgia is another possibility since it involves the whole body. Low calcium and low Vit D is also a possibility.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Discuss these possibilities with your PCP. Take care!
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.