Aa
A
A
A
Close
1966687 tn?1325731223

BLOOD in URINE!!!!! please help!

OKAY! this is serious.
My mom was talking to my godmother earlier about a call she got which she though was for her..(we all have the same first name) so my mom though this call was for her so she was notifying her that they called in regard of a urine sample...which they said there was blood in my urine! then she said my doctors name and i was like WAIT! thats my doctors!!!
i havent been to that doctor in about two months!
IMy mom blames my iud but i dont know if thats the cause...i dont think its a UTI ive been urinating fine without pain....I had a questions yesterday so check it out and tell me if maybe something is connecting. PLEASE give me feed back!
3 Responses
1809109 tn?1331803777
Blood in urine can be serious, so you do need to go back to your doctor and talk to them, perhaps do another test. It is pretty common for something like a kidney stone to cause blood in urine. These can get extremely serious may even be the cause of an UTI, although sometimes they can pass without notice nor problem. I'm not saying this is what caused the blood in the urine, just using it as an example because kidney stones are pretty common. As it is, do your best to not be afraid, and make sure you keep up with your doctor.
1969964 tn?1325921349
It could still be a UTI even if you haven't had any pain, you dont always experience pain with those. It could also be a more serious problem like a problem with your IUD, you should talk to which ever doctor called you.
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hematuria (or blood in the urine) should be investigated, as someone  has already commented. The most common causes are urinary tract infection and kidney stones. It is possible to have either one without symptoms. My guess, though, is that you don't have a urinary tract infection, because your doctor would have seen evidence of that on the urinarlysis as well (white blood cells, leukocyte esterase, nitrates, etc) and probably commented on it. You could still have a urine culture, though, just to make sure. Kidney stones cause pain when they try to come out of the kidney and into the collecting system and move towards the bladder. When they're not doing that, they can be asymptomatic and cause microscopic (or unseen) hematuria. You can have KUB (abdominal xray) to look for radio-opaque stones or sometimes a CT scan to look for non-radio-opaque stones. Another common cause of hematuria in women is actually blood coming from the uterus, such as menstrual bleeding. Sometimes, it helps to give a urine sample while having a tampon in place, to get a sample that is purely from the bladder.

Worst case scenario, and least common, is a bladder or kidney mass, which can cause hematuria. This is worked up with cystoscopy and CT scan. If all of the other causes are excluded, this can be pursued, but I certainly wouldn't start there, especially in a young person.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1590104173
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.