Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Big white bump on tongue?

I have had this recurring problem for the past couple of months that involves a period of about two weeks where I have no issues, then the rest of the month i have either small white bumps on my tongue, that are quite painful, or one large one that is raised. I am concerned as to if it is a reaction to eating acidic foods or drinking alcohol, or if it is a serious symptom to a bigger issue. Please advise, thank you!

Since you have mentioned that the lesions on your tongue are quite painful, the only important lesion which I can think of is canker sores/aphthous ulcers. They commonly occur on the tongue or on the inside of the mouth. I don’t think there’s much to worry about as they usually resolve over a period of time and you need to seek an opinion from your health care practitioner only if they don’t seem to heal. Taking Vitamin B complex capsules/ tablets is thought to be beneficial if they occur frequently.

I hope that helps. Please do keep me posted.

Kind regards.

Actually, it did go away and is now cleared up for the most part. The only problem is they are definitely recurring. I have consulted my physician and all she had to say was that it was a canker sore. I will try the Vitamin B to see if it helps keep these away for longer than a week!

Thank you!
You could be damaging your taste buds, particularly if this is recurring after eating certain foods, or certain types of foods--this would typically be red, though, so I'd say it sounds like you have canker sores in your mouth. Do you ever get any on your lips, and have you been tested for the Epstein-Barr Virus?