Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Bitter taste on my lips

I don't know why...

I don't wear makeup so it's not from that.

I'm not on any meds and don't take any OTC stuff.

My diet hasn't changed.

But I have this horrible bitter taste on my lips that just won't go away. Like when you use nail polish remover and then stick your finger in your mouth by accident... only I don't wear nail polish and haven't used any polish remover. No household cleaners either...

It's just a really horrible bitter taste on my lips.

Any clues???
I HAVE THE SAME THING!!

I thought I was crazy.  It's on my lips, my fingers, hands... every piece of skin on my body tastes like I was bathed in chemicals.  My husband can't taste it (yes I made him taste my skin, haha) but he said my skin smells different.  

No nail polish remover, no household cleaner; it's like a chemical, bitter taste.  Possibly metallic but that is not the predominant taste.  It is NOT a bad taste in my mouth... it is a bad taste on my skin.  And if I touch something, that tastes like it too (like my drinking glass).

Can this be from overusing multivitmains?  Does the body secrete excess minerals or metals or something if you take too much?

It is making my feel like a complete lunatic.  On the plus side, it's keeping me from licking my lips and biting my nails...
I have it too!  Came on here tonight to see if anybody else gets this.  Mine comes and goes.  Weeks pass between bouts of it, then the taste comes back and lasts for a few days.

Chemically, very bitter, biting taste!  Tonight I told my husband about it and he thought I just had a bitter taste in my mouth.  It's NOT in my mouth!  I explained that no, this is on all my skin, my lips, my arms, my hands.  I put the tip of my finger in his mouth and he immediately knew what I was talking about.  He could taste it!  So this is not a delusion - something odd is happening here.

I don't take vitamins, I do take thyroid medicine and anti-anxiety medicine, but have for over 10 years and this just started about 6 months ago.

I did start using a new cleaner lately, Clorox's new "Green" something.  It dries my hands out like crazy - to the point of scaling and cracking.  So now I use gloves when I use it.  Any chance you just started using this "Green" stuff by Clorox?

I have no clue, but now think I may go to the doc.
Did you ever get an answer? I read all of these posts but saw no answers. Any help?
I just sent you a message as well, but wanted to also post here to see if anyone had gotten an answer. As I said, I also take thyroid medicine but the timing on this doesn't correlate with my change in dosage. The bitter taste has been there almost 2 weeks and my dosage changed about 6 weeks ago. Mine seems to be worse in the daytime and is normally gone by evening. I'm going to continue to research but will def call the doctor if this continues.

If anyone finds an answer, please share!!
I believe you are all females, but I'm a male and experiencing the same thing.  It's been going on for about 4 months and I have no idea what's causing it.  My diet, etc. have not changed but this suddenly became a sensation that has me worried.  My lips, my fingertips and other skin areas have an extremely bitter taste...not metalic.  
i'm female and have it also.. and my mouth is very very dry and when i lick my lips it feels like i have a weird chemical film over them.. and its horrible tasting, like i've gotten some kind of chemical on my hands and then put them in my mouth..

it's horrible.. does anyone have any clue what this is?
I have exact same thing as you, really dry mouth and werid chemical film on my lips and sometimes it's like that film is in my mouth too.  I only get this when i am in my house, I never get it anywhere else.  Do you experience it always or just sometimes?

I'm soooo keen to figure it out, it is driving me mad
I am sooooo surprised to google this problem I've been having the last couple of day and actually find that others have this too!  It's a bitter taste on the hands and lips only from what I can tell.  I licked my arm and don't think it's really too bitter.  But, my lips and fingers taste extremely bitter.  I have washed them multiple times to no avail.  I haven't changed anything except I started using Rainbath shower gel recently.  I at first thought this might be causing it.  But, then why would my lips keep tasting this way as soon as I lick them and they dry, it's back to tasting very bitter.  What on earth is this?
I am just grapsing at straws here... but it appears everyone started posting about this recently.  I have been eating lot's of fresh vegetables lately.  I gained 10 lbs on vacation and started a diet when I returned.  So, I guess my diet has changed this week for sure.  I am eating "clean" if you all have ever heard of that.  In any case, I wonder if this salmonella outbreak has companies washing the vegies in something new and it's excreting through our skin. LOL  Is this far fetched?

I am really a little worried about this.  I hope something isn't wrong with me.
I have yet to find any answer or clue as to what might be causing it for me. It doesn't seem to coorilate with anything that normally happens in my life. My diet never changes, my soap, shampoo, laundry soap, dish soap haven't changed. But still, there's this horrid bitter, chemical-ly taste on my lips and fingers. It comes and goes- will have it for a week or two then it just stops & stays gone for a few weeks to months- then suddenly it's back again.

I don't have a fever or any other "sick" symptoms when I have bouts with this so I'm guessing it's my body getting rid of something it doesn't want or need and it can't find a way to get rid of it any other way.

Completely baffling.

Though, if other people are having it too I'd say it's not just you so you aren't nuts. & if it's caused by something being wrong with you please let us know because we have it wrong with us too.

Misery loves good company I suppose.
The first thing I thought of was some kind of poisoning ...but maybe am watching too many Forensic File shows.  There are places that do a full examination by just taking a piece of your hair - that's what I would do if this were happening to me.  Then they can tell you if too much of a specific chemical/ vitamin is in your body. I just did a google search and came up with>  http://www.hairanalysisprogram.com/  if you want more info about it.  I never used this service but just remembered a friend who was involved in working for a company such as this one where they did hair analysis and she told me a lot can be found out from doing that.  The only thing that I can think of that causes bitter taste (again with my forensic shows) is a poison that tastes like bitter almonds but don't remember if it was arsenic or what it was.  Maybe there are fertilizers you are coming in contact with?  
I have never experienced this myself (I am a 52 yr old female) ....in case you were wondering