Bleeding Time After a Blood Draw?
I really didn't know where to post this, but I had my blood drawn today for a routine test.

Anyway, the nurse took my blood, and then she applied the cotton for about 15-20 seconds, but when she removed it, I was still bleeding.  This happened a few times, and then she made a comment about my low platelet count.

Now I'm freaking out.  I've never really had a  nurse who pulled the cotton up so fast, but she has me worried what that comment.  Am I bleeding for longer than normal?

She worked in the lab and draws blood all day, so I figured she would know what she was talking about, but I know that in the past, they always kept the cotton applied longer.

The normal bleeding time(by Ivy method ) is in the range of 2 - 9 minutes depending on the method used and normal clotting time is 5 to 15 minutes.

I think that you should get a complete blood count,platelet count and complete coagulation profile to clear any doubts and see if there is any abnormality in either of these.Till then nothing can be said with certainity.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.