Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Blue Veins in Leg

For several months I've noticed deep blue veins on my upper thigh. When I lean against something (like the bathroom vanity), it feels like a big bruise.  These are not spider veins or varicose. They look like normal veins except that they're very noticable and only on the upper region of my right thigh. I wouldn't be worried about them except for the fact that they feel like a bruise.  Any ideas?
I wouldn't completely rule out varicose veins because I have read that they can occasionally be painful.  If that is the case & a doctor recommends they be treated, a lot of U.S. Medical Insurance plans cover this.  I only mention this because I have spider veins (mostly in my right thigh) but they are just ugly, not painful, so the treatment to get rid of them is not covered by insurance.  In any case, I would say it's a circulation issue and that it could be a more severe version of varicose veins.  I would see a doctor if I were in pain with mine.  Take care!
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Well, it may be a normal finding. Otherwise, it can be due to peripheral vascular disease, faulty deep veins’ valves and high blood pressure as the cause would need to be ruled out. Kidney function tests should also be done. A duplex ultrasound of the vein will need to be carried out. You can gently massage the vein in upward direction, towards your shoulder, 2-3 times a day and see if it helps.
Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!