Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Breast pain post one year after op

I had a breast reduction in may 2007. I developed a serious infection in both breasts leaving me with 5.5 cm deep wounds to the chest wall. i was in extreme pain and required in home nursing for three months.. Tests showed that i had been infected with two different strains of ecoli...... I was treated for a haematoma in the right breast as well... I am still suffering from breast pain... I am post menopausal... i am 44 and worried that this may lead to an increased risk of breast cancer.... Its hard enough coping with the scarring.....

Pain in breasts after more than 1 year of breast abscess drainage may be due to infection of the scar tissue which was formed.Other cause may be premenopause.This is due to imbalance between estrogen and progesterone levels.Hormone replacement therapy has to be started in premenopause.

Other causes of breast pain(mastodynia or mastalgia) are mastitis(inflammation of breasts),galactoceles,benign and malignant pathologies of breasts,referred pain from liver or musculoskeletal system,arthritis of the ribs,costsochondritis and inflammation or sprain of pectoralis muscle.

I feel that an examination by a gynecologist will be the best.Till that time,apply some warm compresses on the breasts and take some over the counter pain reliever(analgesic) like ibuprofen or diclofenac.When consulting a gynecologist also get a mammogram done along with breast examination to rule out the possibility of carcinoma breast.Although pain breast is not a typical feature of breast cancer,but a mammogram is essential in perimenopausal women as a routing test every year.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.