Bump on wrist under skin
I have a bump on my wrist on the palm side, by the place where I check my pulse. My doctor said that it was a cyst and its has been there ever since february. I was wondering where could it possibly come from and will it go away without surgery? and it about the size of a sweet pea.

This is a ganglion cyst most probably - you need to consult a surgeon for your symptoms.

'A ganglion cyst is a tumor or swelling on top of a joint or the covering of a tendon (tissue that connects muscle to bone). It looks like a sac of liquid (cyst). Inside the cyst is a thick, sticky, clear, colorless, jellylike material. Depending on the size, cysts may feel firm or spongy. '

'Many cysts (38-58%) can disappear without any treatment at all.

Various treatments have been proposed over the years. Some include telling people with cysts without symptoms not to worry, using a needle to remove the cyst's contents (aspiration), or surgery.

* Aspiration usually includes placing a needle into the cyst, drawing the liquid material out, injecting a steroid compound (anti-inflammatory), and then splinting your wrist to keep it from moving.

* Studies have shown up to 74% of people are cured after having the fluid drawn out with a needle 1 time.

* If you have the fluid drawn out 3 times, your possibility of being cured goes up to 85%, particularly with a cyst on the back of the hand.

* If you compare aspiration/injection and surgical removal, in general, cysts return less often after surgery.'

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/ganglion_cyst/article_em.htm

Let us know if you need any other information and post us about what your doctor advises.

Regards.
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.