Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Burning sensation in back of skull

Since the neurology forum is so hard to get into and post a question I'll ask any readers here if anyone has had these symptoms?  I get a weird burning sensation in the back of my head, this often starts up in the morning and subsides by evening. The burning sensation seems to be even behind my ears. I also get a sensation of discomfort in my upper neck, right at the base of the skull, like my head is sinking in and compressing something. I have arthritis with bone spurs at C3-4-5-6-7 and thoracic spine. I don't know if this has something to do with my symptoms or not. I had a brain MRI last month and it was normal. My bloodwork is normal too. Has anyone had these symptoms?
I do.  Burning, kinda tight, and annoying.  Mine is base of skull, sometimes down left side of neck, and also above ear and eye.  I too have haad a brain MRI, everything is normal, except "EXTENSIVE" sinus thickening.  I too wake up with it, except mine lasts for 2 or 3 days.  Motrin 800 mg, and a heating pad is the only relief I get.  I know it's frustrating, I've had these for 8 years.  Going to ask doc about PT. Take care-.
I also get a burning feeling from the back of my neck up to the top of my head at times.  Sometimes it feels like my sinuses, sometimes not.  At times, I get a lot of nausea, which also somehow feels like it is coming from the back of my neck or base of my skull (if that's possible).

Bloodwork is all normal, CT scan of sinuses was normal, neck x-ray was normal.  Although my massage therapist said my neck is way out of whack.

Some of it may be from stress, but I'm not really sure on the causes.

Kevin
I had the same symptoms a few months ago before I was diagnosed with Bell's palsy, which is caused by inflamation of a facial nerve.  About a couple of days later I became semi-paralyzed on the left side of my face; this lasted about three weeks. A day later after the semi-paralysis began, I went to the hospital to get a prescription for anti-inflammatory steroids.

It is suggested that you make an appointment as soon as possible to see if it is a symptom of Bell's palsy or some other.
Has anyone asked their doctors about Chiari? I was told that you don't get a diagnosis of Chiari unless there is 5mm herniation or more, but I went to a support group and it seems that some people get these symptoms at 2mm-4mm but the doctors dismiss these findings as incidental and suggest no treatment.
Do you get any other symptoms such as nausea or dizziness with it?
In answer to your question, yes I get dizzy but not always. But I have a long history of dizzy spells anyway. And there is something wrong with my vestibular system - but the specialists don't exactly know what it is!