CHEST TIGHTNESS WHILE WALKING

I am a 63 year old male in good health. I do take high blood pressure medicine. I do not smoke or drink and I am 5'11' and weigh 200lbs. Very active. In the last few months I have been getting a tightness in my lower chest when I walk outdoors for the first time during the day. We have a cold snowy winter climate. This happens once and then does not bother again that day. Does not happen everyday. A very recent EKG was normal as was my blood pressure. A rescue inhaler was prescribed but did nothing for me. I do not have a cough. Any thoughts as to why this is happening to me?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Sudden tightness of chest muscles on exposure to cold is usually due to sudden increase in venous and arterial pressures. There is involuntary contraction of chest muscles in response to cold. Hence heart patients are asked not to venture out in cold climate without adequate protection. Similar is the case with people with high BP. Maybe you should get your BP checked when you have this tightness and if possible an ECG. Your cough could be a side effect of your BP medicines if it is not due to flu or seasonal cough. You can ask your doctor about it.
Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.