MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

Chronic pain in lower back and side

I have pain in my lower back and left side.  The pain occurs after walking a long distance, working around the house, eating foods, or stress.  I feel the pain coming on and when it hits, I have to lay down on a bed, with a heating pad, and take a pain pill to get rid of the pain.  I have tried sitting up with pills, but pain only goes away when I lay down.
The pain started two years ago, and has gotten really bad in thepast three months.  The pain started near my Kidney and has now moved to the lower back and side area.  It does feel like muscles contracting, and that I feel like gas/bowel movement (which doesn't move).  I get sick to my stomach and just need to stop everything to rest.  I have had a MRI and a nuclear Cat Scan, that shows nothing wrong.  I did have surgery two years ago to remove a mole in that area, and I also have a 8milm Kidney stone, which is in the upper corner of the Kidney.  The Kidney specialist says this can not be causing the pain.  I have gone through Physical therapy, but doesn't help.  I get the pain every day now, and am frustrated on how to relieve thepain with out medication.  If I have any antacide medication or prilosec, it irritates that area.  I had a hysterectomy ten years ago, and my incision seeps a little (just started about the same time).  I had the surgery because of Endometriosis.  I had the mole removed because it was pre cancer.  I have melanoma removed twice on my arms in the past two years.  Where do I go from here.  Who do I see, or what do I do to get rid of pain.  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Maybe we are getting this pain from endometriosis again.  I have a Kidney stone, but they say it can not be causing my pain because it is not in the area that would cause problems.  I hope they are able to find out what causes our pain.  Let me know if come across anything new.
Helpful - 1
I have had a pain in the same places as you and I too, had a cyst removed awhile ago because I have endometriosis.  So far, all the tests I've had done (2 colonoscopies, ultra sound, cat scan and back x-ray) don't explain the pain.  I am now waiting for the results of my urologic cat scan.  The doctor wrote on the prescription "renal colic".  Maybe she thinks it is a kidney stone.  Although I am not "bent over" in pain.   It is more of a dull ache.  I hope it is not endometriosis reocurring and showing her ugly face again.
Helpful - 1
I agree with the CT scan and MRI - which would exclude many of the major causes.  

Obtaining another urology opinion can be obtained to ensure the kidney stone isn't leading to the pain.  

If physical therapy isn't helping, obtaining a pain management consult can be done to help manage the discomfort.  Non-medical opinions include a trigger point injection or nerve block.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
Helpful - 1
My results from my urologic cat scan were normal - go figure!  The pain, as of today, has resided.  But that is typical.  It comes and goes.  Maybe it's arthritis or osteoporosis.  I have been told I have "mild" or "borderline" osteoporosis.  All I was told to do for that was to take vitamins, like Viactiv and to lift weights.  Exercise seems to be the key to everything.  I have also been going for physical therapy 3 days a week for 1 hr. and I really find it is helping.  My back actually feels stronger and straighter.  How are you doing?  I will let you know if anything else turns up.  Thanks!  Good luck!
Helpful - 0
Why does food or medication like aspirin make the pain worse?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Forum

Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.