Constant painful cramps, spasms in back
It has been 7 weeks of non stop pain. I am open for any answers. The best way I can decribe it is like a very painful "charley horse" in all my back muscles. The cramping spasms have not stopped in over 7 weeks. I have been out of work & mostly in bed. When I am not resting I have been at the drs. I have been on 3 different muscle relaxers, 2 different pain killers and steroids. These spasms are constant and painful. I am afraid of the potentail damage being done to my back muscles. I reached into the dryer for a shirt & "pulled" a muscle in my back. A few days later I rode a 4 wheeler & felt my neck hurt, so I got off. Then one week later another spasm shaving my leg. I have always had back issues and have 2 herniated discs. So I am used to back pain through the years. I NEVER have anything like this. I feel like the drs are dragging here. My records were sent to a neurologist. I am waiting to hear if they will "accept" my case. Since the progress is slow here & I want to be back to my normal health ( which was better than this) any answers would help. I can't find anything like my case on the web. Thanks
Welcome to the forum!
There are a few elements in the body, the disharmony of which can cause cramps. I would suggest you get the blood levels of the following checked if they have not already been checked: potassium, calcium, sodium, vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Generally deficiencies of any of the above can cause muscle cramps and spasms in localized or generalized areas of the body. Get your kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and fatigue all cause similar symptoms.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Discuss this with your PCP while you wait for your appointment with the neurologist. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Thanks for the reply. I got blood work back, my dr thinks I have a kidney infection. That would be a secondary problem to the first, which is not any better. I have asked for him to take my calicum levels. I have stopped all vitamins & minerals that I was taking. My WBC, RBC, Hemocrit, MCH, MCV, & glucose among some of my blood being off. The neurologist I was waiting on decided after seeing my records that they can't do anything for me since this is going on long term. I didnt realize that 8 weeks was considered that long. Now I have an appt with an orthopedic dr, hoping to get injections for the pain. In the meantime I have been on muscle relaxers 24/7. I feel lost to find the cause of this problem myself . thanks for any advice.
A related discussion, continued problems, list growing was started.