Croup in 16y/o does it have an underlying cause?
I’m 16 and every year I get croup around December/ January time. Me and my family are really confused about this as we were told that it was supposed to stop by the age of 5. For the last couple of year it has got so bad that I’ve had to go to a&e every night for about a week to get steroids and a nebuliser. These obviously help but I think there is an underlying cause. I suffer with Asthma but if I take my inhaler when I have croup it doesn’t effect it at all, I also have a preventer pump which I take every day. This week I had a cold but when I woke up this morning I was struggling to breathe I went to my gp who gave me a nebuliser and antibiotics and steroids this has helped me but she is also referring me to a respiratory doctor to see if there is an underlying cause. Does anyone know if there could be or know anyone who has had a similar situation?
Hello~I am so sorry you are having such miserable symptoms. The only thing I can think of is you could have a hidden infection. Has the doctor run any tests such as blood work to see what you white blood count is? Possibly, allergies could be causing the problem as well, either food or environmental.

I wish I could be of more help, I hope you get the help you need soon. God bless you.
I had croup when I was 15. At the time I had undiagnosed autoimmune pernicious anaemia (vitamin B12 is essential for a healthy immune system).

"Teens who have not developed antibodies to the viruses that cause croup and those whose immune systems are compromised can develop viral croup." - Livestrong - Croup in teens.