Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Dizziness, Fainting, Possible seizure, Vomiting

I began having these episodes in 2005, and have had a total of seven all together since then. My last episode was last weekend, and before that I hadn't had one for about 3 years. I have been to neurologists, I've had 2 EEGs, 2 MRIs, an EKG, and some other tests that I can't even remember. I have never come close to any type of diagnosis, and eventually gave up. I had initally written the whole thing off as an unpleasant side effect of being on Paxil, since that's when it started. I gave up the Paxil 3 years ago and hadn't had a problem again since last weekend.

The episode starts out with extreme dizziness, room spinning, and I am either forced to sit down, or I fall down. At this point I will pass out, and have what observers describe as a seizure, however I am not 100% sure what it is. It is definitely a convulsion or spasm, and usually only happens in my hands, or arms and legs, and lasts about 3 min or less.  When that stops and I am responsive again, I am completely out of it, and I will start to heave and eventually vomit although there have been times when I never vomit, just heave. I feel sweaty, and I am extremely pale. After vomiting, my color starts to return, but I am unable to stand up or move around for the next few hours as I feel extremely weak and just generally out of it.  The people who have observed me having these attacks have told me that I'm completely unconcious, however to me it feels like I am not because I can still hear everything everyone says and feel like I might even be talking back, or that I"m trying to talk but can't.  This last episode, I lost control of my bladder, although this was the first time.

These attacks happen at completely different places and times, although I think that it's possible that consuming alcohol COULD be a factor that may bring the attacks on, however it is important to me to emphasize that even though 5 out of 7 of these attacks happened when I was consuming alcohol, it was no more than one or two drinks and not nearly enough for me to feel even slightly intoxicated. I am not a heavy drinker at all, and 95% of the time i do drink nothing like this ever happens. When I feel the attacks coming on I usually just feel the increasing sensation of dizziness, and the need to sit down, but it happens so quickly that sometimes I don't make it that far. Sometimes it happens on an empty stomach, sometimes I have just eaten a meal, sometimes it's in the afternoon, sometimes at night.

I have looked into the possibility of vertigo, or even Menier's disease, but the symptoms don't match up 100%. I do have ringing in my ears very frequently and I do have frequent mild dizzy spells, but never put the two together.  I am completely losing hope that I will ever figure out what is causing these episodes, especially now that I know it wasn't the paxil.

I am 27 years old, I am on birth control (wasn't when this started), and no other medications. I am not pregnant. Any insight would be beyond appreciated.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Some types of alcohols and wines can cause an allergic reaction and some people are intolerant to it. This could be the reason why sometimes you get an episode whereas at other times you do not. Some alcohols cause severe acidity and acid reflux or GERD. This can also cause fainting attacks.
“Vertigo can be caused by disorders of body parts that are involved in maintaining balance:
• Inner ear
• Brain stem and cerebellum
• Nerve tracts connecting the brain stem and cerebellum or within the brain stem
Inner Ear Disorders: Most commonly, vertigo results from motion sickness. Motion sickness may develop in people whose inner ear is sensitive to particular motions, such as swaying or sudden stopping and starting.
Another common cause of vertigo is an abnormal collection of calcium particles in one semicircular canal of the inner ear. The resulting disorder, called benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, or BPPV, is especially common among older people. It occurs when the head is moved in certain ways.
Meniere's disease produces attacks of vertigo. The cause of Meniere's disease is thought to involve excess fluid in the inner ear (hydrops). What triggers this is unknown, but it may result from an autoimmune reaction, an allergy, an imbalance in the autonomic nervous system, a blockage to certain structures in the ear, or a viral infection.
Disorders of the vestibulocochlear nerve can cause vertigo, a hearing disorder, or both.
Other disorders that may cause vertigo by affecting the inner ear or its nerve connections include the following:
• Bacterial or viral infections, such as vestibular neuritis, herpes zoster, and mastoiditis
• Paget's disease
• Tumors, such as an auditory nerve tumor
• Inflammation of nerves
The inner ear may also be damaged by drugs, such as aminoglycoside antibiotics, aspirin
, the chemotherapy drug cisplatin, the sedative Phenobarbital, the anticonvulsant phenytoin, the antipsychotic chlorpromazine and certain diuretics including furosemide Excessive use of alcohol can cause temporary vertigo.
Disorders That Affect the Brain: A decrease in the blood supply through arteries to the brain stem, cerebellum, and back of the brain can cause vertigo. This decrease is called vertebrobasilar insufficiency because the arteries affected include the vertebral and basilar arteries. If the decreased blood supply causes temporary symptoms, a transient ischemic attack (TIA) is diagnosed. If permanent damage results, a stroke is diagnosed.
Less common disorders that cause vertigo by affecting the brain stem or cerebellum include multiple sclerosis, fractures at the base of the skull, head injuries, seizures, infections, and tumors growing in or near the base of the brain. Vertigo can sometimes be part of a migraine attack and occasionally occur without the headache.
Occasionally, vertigo is caused by disorders that suddenly increase pressure within the skull, putting pressure on the brain. These disorders include benign intracranial hypertension, brain tumors, and bleeding (hemorrhage) within the skull.” Refer: http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec06/ch080/ch080c.html

I think you should discuss these possibilities with your doctor. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

A related discussion, Fainting, seizure, vomiting was started.