Dizziness, spaced out feeling, head pain, sinus pressure and feeling shaky

For the past 4 years I have been experiencing horrible symptoms. It seemed that the whole thing started as a sinus infection but then I went for a CT scan of sinuses and they were clear. I have been having symptoms of dizziness, head pain, shakiness and a spaced out kind of foggy feeling like i am watching my life from the outside - all day every day. There are some times for a couple of hours during the day that the symptoms may lift and give me a few moments to live- but not much. I have been to about 30 doctors- including ENT's allergists, neurologists, chiropracters, opthamologists. psychologists, dentists and everything else u can think of. All CT scans, MRI of brain and blood work keep coming back clean and ok. Nothing I try seems to work. There was a period of time about 3 and a half years ago that the symptoms lifted for about 4 months and then it returned full force. Some of the weird parts are that the shakiness seems to be seasonal - coming in spring and lasting thru summer and its miserable like a tingling pins and needles sensation thru out my body. I have also been getting what some doctors seem to diagnose as recurring sinus infections- like 10 a year- i take anti biotics and i feel slightly better until the next infection but i still have the other symtoms while I am on the medication.  I have hay fever and allergies to mold dust...Every doctor tried diagnosing something different- like migraines or TMJ or some sort of other odd thing. I've tried tons of medications. I dont usually have all the symptoms at once...they kind of take turns.  One doctor suggested moving to Arizona as it may be a sinus issue but the ENT's say I have no sinus isue- just regular allergies and the allergists say that they have never seen symptoms like these for allergies. I tried psychologists even though the ony reason I am stressed out is cuz I can never live....before this sickness I was the happiest person around- and even psychologists turned me away as normal.  Is there anyone out there that may know something that can help me - please??......I can not go on like this anymore
Hey there,

Deep breath! I've been there. I know that HORRIBLE feeling of being detached from reality. Like you're floating, sounds become muffled, someone's talking to you but you're not really listening... your heart starts racing, your mind starts whirling, and you have to shake your head hard to bring yourself back.

I went to doctors and had tests done and thought I had all kinds of crazy things wrong with me. I was told I had anxiety. I didn't believe that but went to see a psych anyways who sent me away as "normal". So then I panicked more thinking I was going to drop dead at any time. It was suggested to me again that maybe I had generalized anxiety disorder. Once I started to consider the idea that I had anxiety, things were in perspective for me. I bought an anxiety workbook and started seeing a life counselor. (Check with your employer - most companies have an employee assistance program) Since then, my symptoms have almost all disappeared. Every now and then I get a little shaky, but I take deep breaths, find some peace in the chaos, and balance is restored.

Don't give up on the idea of anxiety just because YOU don't see your life as stressful. You may be dealing with more than others would see as normal. And don't let anyone else dismiss your fears. It's your life and if you're paying someone to help you put the pieces back together, dangit they had better bring glue and instructions.

And maybe you just suffer from chronis sinus infections. I suffer from frequent constipation and there's no underlying cause. I'm just not regular! (:

I hope that even if what you're experiencing is not anxiety, you find out what it is. You deserve to be happy and worry/pain-free!

So, do yourself a favor and take a deep breath, close your eyes, hold your breath for a few seconds, let that air out slowly, and as you're letting it out, think of the best time you've ever had. Keep your eyes closed and savor that feeling. Use that moment in your darkest, most painful times, and you'll see the light. Whether it's anxiety or something else, your mind and memories can always take you to a better place.
Well my neurologist put me on Xanax because I was experiencing the symptoms to the point that I was having panic attacks because of being frustrated that the feelings wouldn't go away no matter what. Basically there is nothing physically wrong with me which is good. My symptoms are more than likely due to my body's response to trauma i've been going through. The xanax helps because it makes me calmed down and intensifies the foggy headed feeling. Therefore when the meds wear down I feel somewhat normal (as opposed to being drugged up). The foggy headed feeling hasn't gone away at all but the Xanax is helping me to cope. I encourage everyone to keep posting because just reading that other people are suffering the same symptoms (the no one else or doctors can understand) gives me comfort. We're all in this together!! Anyone have any suggestions, comments? Anything helps!
Sorry to say that I've had this dizzy feeling for years and haven't found out what the problem is.  I have nasal congestion (left side only) and have had two nose surgeries which did not help.  When that side of my nose closes up I feel dizzy and light headed. When I walk around I feel like I'm going sideways and am afraid I will fall.  Even when I sit I feel like I'm going to just fall over.  When my nose opens up, which isn't very often I feel more normal.  I've taken allergy shots which didn't help and had CT of sinuses which was clear.  Every day I get up and feel the same way.  I feel like this at home as well as when I go out, which isn't very often.  I feel sleepy all the time and my eyes feel like I can't hold them opeen.  I don't know what to do next.  This is ruining my life.  Until I found this site I didn't know so many people had this same or similar problem. Hope we all can find an answer to this.
Okay...I may not have all the answer to the root cause of all your symptoms but I can tell you that I have a similar issue. Chronic ENT problems. One doc says allergies, one says ear, one says no ear is result of chronic sinus infections, and round and round I go. It's like being on a feaking merry go round, but the ride never ends. I've been on antibiotics and feel better, but a week after I finish, symptoms are back. The worst part is the fatigue. My boyfriend told me to take an expectorant in addition to the antiobiotics, antihistimine, and decongestant the doc prescribed. I had taken it before and knew he was right. It had always helped, in the very least making me more comfortable. We'll Once I started taking it, I never stopped, and I feel much better. My sinuses still bother me a bit. So do my ears. But I haven't been on an antiobiotic for six months. And I think that's because I ran out of the expectorant. Before I started the expectorant I was on antiobiotics of one sort or another for 1 solid year. You might try and see if this gives you some relief. I take the Mucinex extended tabs. I think it's the 600mg pills, twice a day. They're over the counter. There's no doubt that I have a chronic infection, either in my ears or sinuses. At least now I know I can live with it. It doesn't control my life anymore. If you try it keep me posted and let me know how it works for you!
Well I went back to the Dr and he is now refering me to an Opthamologist. He wants me to get my eyes checked out and if everything checks out fine then he will refer me to a neurologist. I can understand eye problems causing dizziness and headaches but I really don't think it would cause the rushing in my ears and fatigue right?

To make matters worse I have begun to get headaches every day now. Wen I told the DR he said they are stress headaches. My appt is coming up soon so I will update you guys again.
if you have not seen an immunologist please do so.  also, please get tested for Celiac Disease.
Can I jpin your club too? If there is no club it sure sounds like we should start one. I too have experienced all the symptoms listed above. I will save your reading time by saying I went to all the docs and I mean all the docs and took all the tests and I mean all!!! Everyone points to anxiety. However I fight this diagnosis ( though they may be right I find it hard to accept) I been to shrinks who points to meds. Matter of fact every doc I saw wrote me at least 2 scripts. Nothing works. The xanax mentioned earlier is a great band aid for when panic sets in. My cocktail was a xanax and 2 motrin, that always levelled my playing field. I have always believed that my anxiety is from my symptoms not anxiety causing the symptoms. No matter what you believe the common thread is that the medical community has no answers only guesses. So here is my suggestions since alot of my symptoms have left me ( I still get the light headedness and I still get feelings as if I am drained and I need a nap but these symptoms are not as frequent).
1. Eat a better diet  lower the sugars and the carbs, drink water ( a little lemon pinch of baking soda only) maybe some green or white teas.
2. Exercise moderately (walk in sunlight)
3. Read a good book or watch Family Guy ( reading makes me relax, Family guy carcks me up and laughing is a wonderful medicine)
4. Alcolize get the body away from acids ( I am trying but not so successfully)
5. Cleanse ( colon, liver, candida etc)
6. Try and live a better life style
You may look at this and say "bullcrap" I know I do...But I figure nobody has any answers and what I listed sure cannot hurt. I did lose 25 lbs and fitting into old clothes gave me self esteem. One last thing, get your hormones checked very important that your mones are right.   Out
I said one last thing in my earlier post. I lied. One more one last thing. I just read a research report where the findings consider antidepressants placibo.  Zoloft paxil etc. Lets face it guys  we are either weak or strong. No shrink in the world is going to make us feel better about ourselves. Unless they lie to us and just tell us what we want to hear. Me I am facing mid life crises. Turning 50. I realize my mind is weak and getting weaker. I know I have turned into a loser who would rather sit in front of the TV, then go out and try to have social fun. All I do now is read the internet and dwell on every little symptom my bod comes up with. Any good suggestions that come my way I have 10 negatives to throw at it. Is this you too? Don't let it be. Don't be me. We have to write a mission statement and set goals and force ourselves to do healthy things. I have started like I said to eat better and live a better life style. Presently to be honest I have no answers yet on how to bring back the zest in life. But its all up to me not the shrinks. I know what my problems are. And in reality I know what some of the answers are I just have to dig deep and find the inner strength to get up and go. Finding this strength is the toughest part since I am an easy way out kind of guy and always have been. But I feel If I can get up over this hump called life right now and some how accomplish and get some real self esteem that alll these symptoms we write about may just pack themselves up and go on a permanent vacation. Now I am really out.
man im spaced out feelin today, i been doin much better in most ways, still thankful for xanax, light doses, but yesterday, we had very small field peas, meatloaf, kinda instant 4 minute stuff,an i had got some skim milk, drunk about a quart at least, last nite had weird weird dreams, but woke up just spaced out an outta focus feelin, this used to happen a lot, havent used my sleep apnea machine for a week, i just get tired of the hassle, you roll over an it comes off of your face, an you dream about wind, an wake up an its the mask is off an air is blowin, except for this, i ben doin much better, am takin zinc, calcium, magnesium, i think, timed release b vitamins, an about 1,000 on the vitamin c, taday is a real drag, but it will pass, dont even feel like really writing about this, but glad i can, was it the lack of usin my machine,, a bunch of m an ms i ate, or those litle field peas, meatloaf etc, who knows, i hate feelin this way,, like when i used to smoke pot all the time, the next day, so spaced out , an awful feelin, but thank god, this too will pass.
Zitisue, I do agree about you saying the symptoms causing anxiety because I do believe that is what pushed me over the edge. However, I am now convinced that my traumatic experience (from Dec) is causing my anxiety in the form of the foggy head feeling. It's as if my body is producing a euphoric feeling (that stupid foggy head feeling the docs dont understand) in order to deal with things in my life. I started seeing a shrink and it helps to talk about things. I am now taking Zoloft (50mg) everday and have Xanaz (1mg) as a back up. I would suggest to anyone suffering from this symptom to get on some meds just to take the edge off. It has helped me to get ahold of myself and would recommend it. Some days are better than others as most of you know. Sometimes though I feel like I cannot handle the symptoms much longer but that too passes and then I realize a whole week has gone by! I wish everyone well . Continue writing and let me know if you find anything that helps!
Ps. do any of you know of any other forums discussing this? Anything will help me!
I had a lot of dizziness, light-headedness, headaches, balance problems...... even digestive problems, but am basically cured....

After visiting the chiropractor I found out that my hips were out of whack along with my spine.  My body was sending but not receiving the signals for my digestive system (since my back/hips were out of whack it was pinching a nerve).  Not only was my digestive problem fixed but also my balance problem and my headaches were gone.  If you are having a lot of balance problems it could be due to ear infections or your feet.  Check with a podiatrist (I think that is what they are called) and they can tell you if you are out of balance.

I ended up in the ER for dizzy spells... after the blood tests returned I was told that my potassium and magnesium levels were so low, they thought the machine was broken.  Doctor said "if you get up after lying/sitting down and get dizzy or light-headed it is due to a lack of potassium".  I was put on potassium and magnesium supplements for a short period of time and have yet to have another dizzy spell.  A few times a week I will take a One-a-day vitamin just to make sure that I keep my potassium/magnesium levels up.  

Vision blurriness can also be caused by lack of iron.  
Everything mentioned in last three posts I agree with. remember we are all individuals and although our problems seem similar the causes can be individual as could be the sollutions. When you have these symptoms you must explore all the traditional tests to rule out anything major. I did all this. Then I tried althernative. I visited a friend of a friend who is a recommended chiropracter. Turns out he has similar problems as the rest of us.So this did not work for me. I have met lately so many people directly and indirectly who either have had the symptoms or have them or their spouses or people they know have them. In a way its almost an epidemic. Consider all the people suffering this that do not post in these  web sites. I have got past most of my original symptoms. I still get lightheaded but not as much and I have had it so long I am kind of use to it so I do not pay attention to it. My anxiety and panic attacks are in check now and my BP is good. This is from exercise and a total change in eating habbits. I still get a little concerned ( better then anxious or nervous) because my immune system was knocked the hell out of when I was crazed with anxiety. I trecently took a long run of antibiotics from 3 different docs because they could not figure out what else to do and it gave me a terrible yeast ( oral thrush) problem that I now cannot seem to get rid of. It seems any answer people post here which was right for them maybe right for you but it may not and I guess we have to still keep looking. I also when needed still do a zanny motrin cocktail. Also as I said in past post eating better, exercising, getting good nutrition may not be the answer but it sure cannot hurt. Jeff
will this stupid thing ever go away? i have fallen into a deep depression because of this. I'm so discouraged because it wont go away. I got a 100% clean bill of health which is good. the Docs say anxiety. how the hell do I make it go away. Xanax is just a bandaid and no way to live. I just want to feel normal again!

michelle
We moved to the cape from the north shore of Boston in 1999 and I have never felt worse. I was always a long distance avid cyclist and now it is a struggle to enjoy even a short ride. I have constant post nasal in addtion to a lot of allergies. In 2003, I started experiencing hand tremors to the point where it affected my writing so I could barely sign my name. I was eventually in 2006, diagnosed with Essential Tremor. I am on a Glaucoma med that has a side effect of controlling tremors. It helps but certainly doesn't make it go away entirely which affects my everyday life since I have to focus on writing slowly in order to have somewhat ledgible handwriting.  I am a medical assistant. Last fall I decided I wanted to go through allergy testing since I was also having lots of violent migraines. During the first week of testing, I broke out in a rash , on my neck and into my scalp,which the nurse said looked like eczema. It was determined that I am allergic to all dairy, potatoes, rice, broccoli,peaches, nectarines, chocolate, soy and black pepper. What a challenge to shop for foods that are natural wihout the added ingredients I can't have. In Jan. I had another outbreak of rash that was so itchy and spread over 30% of my body. I was scratching my skin raw. It lasted for 2 1/2 mos. My pcp prescribed a medrol dose pack of prednisone and a prescription strength cortisone cream, neither of which helped. I have been to an allergist who is world reknown. He wanted to rule out an auoimmune disease or anything major, which was done through lots of bloodwork. I was averaging 3 hrs sleep per night. I have to work! I have been hearing of others here on the cape who work in healthcare, having this same undiagnosed rash. My allergist is seeing more of it and still no diagnosis. Just when I thought I was better, after one day of more allergy testing, the rash has come back with avengence!!  PLease if there is anyone who knows of this please help. Also my BP and cholesterol which have always been very low, were very high. My allergist has now started me on 20mg of Prednisone. I just started it on Friday, so no relief yet. I'm frightened by this and wonder what is going on here on the cape. We would move right now if we could, but financially it's not in the picture.Thanks for any feedback.
Hi all, I have being feeling dizzy, tightness in my head at the back of my head, ears feel blocked and just not feeling well, I thing I have a serious problem and don't know why as my life is great. I also feel like something is dripping from my ear but nothing. I need answers and am afraid to go back to doctor in case she think's I am loosing it. Please tell me I am not the only one who feels like this. Eire Girl.
I'm experiencing the same thing. It's ruining my life. Did you ever find relief?
I know how you feel! I have basically the exact same symptoms. I also have gone to doctors and had tests ran and everything came back fine! I was told that it may be muscle tension headaches and that they can last from a week to the rest of your life! So I am on 2 different muscle relaxers for now. I am not sure if thats it or not. Like you I have good moments but 99% of the time it's discomfort.. I am with you I just want to feel normal again. If you find out anything let me know.
Oh boy since january I have been sick in and out of the ER three times with one over night stay. Dizziness, face pressure behind eye or over to ear sometimes down to my front teeth . blood culture fine cbc had ultrasound of complete organs did ct scan with nuclear IV all came back fine. Had head Ct scan Late feb 2008 said I had acute sinusitis went threw three types of antibiotics.still no help still foggy dizzy now the bags under my eyes are starting to turn yellow my fingers are not opening and closing vary well and my walking has became staggered..Doctor said I think this is psychological prescribed xanax and zoloft said to see a srink. what is going on until january I was fine but then caught a real bad flue that lasted three weeks went away for to weeks the got this horrifying dizziness confusion pins and needles in my face neck shoulders down in to my hand's hope to have another CT scan on 4-22-08 of my head I am afraid it a brain infection. any help this has made me not be able to work or even drive sometimes any help would be very appreciated.
Did you ever find relief?
I have experienced similar symptoms as those mentioned above. At first, I believed they were panic attacks. I experienced sensations of tingling limbs, elevated heart rate, dizziness, spacy feeling. The whole process felt like an out of body experience. I went to a psychologist and was prescribed Celexa and Zanax. The Dr. told me that it is common to experience real like symptoms during a panic attack, but they should diminish over a short period (10 min). I quickly realized that I was not going to rely on drugs to fix this problem and weened my way off of the drugs after only 3 weeks. I battled with my panic attacks for over 6 months, until I could control them and was prepared for them when they hit me full force. Still it was a constant effort. Then I came down with a sinus infection that lead to an inner ear infection. I was constantly dizzy, spaced out, ear congestion and uncomfortable sensation. After a month of this icky feeling, I finally took antibiotics which helped with the dizziness and the fuzzy head. I felt better for about six months, but still did not feel like myself. Now, the dizziness has returned along with the other symptoms. I recently started grad school and am at a major cross road in my life, a major transition if you will. I am beginning to realize that I am controlling this illness. During times of stress and anxiety, I feel the worst, like I am incapable of dealing with life. But I find that it helps to take ownership of the feelings and not be afraid or panic, because fear is an antagonizer. I think that diet and exercise are also a very important part of the healing process. I realize that I feel good after a nice long run. Spending quiet time with my thoughts and writing  in a journal tracking progress has its perks as well. If there is anything else that people do to cope with this gross feeling, please share.
Thank you , Thank you , thank you ! Thank you all for making me not feel alone!
I have spent the last 5 or 6 years of my life feeling completely disconected from my life.
I end up places, and only slightly remember driving there, I talk to people, I only remember  1/3 of what theyve told me. The kids bring home papers they need signed and brought back to school and I cant find where I put them! I am so miserable!
I also find it to be worse during diffrent seasons. I've had migrains for years, have been threw test after test, doctor after doctor...
        I have always thought I was alone in my foggy little world...Ive always had so much touble even putting words to it.....thank you!
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.