Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Dry Throat

Hi, I've had a dry throat right at the back behind my tongue, kind of on the roof of my gum and around the adams apple part. My voice has been fine but it seems that when I wake up and after strenuous exercise it is at its worst in that i almost (although never actually have gagged) but whilst i'm outside or throughout the day when I'm out of the house I am absolutely fine. I don't know if it is an allergy or something more serious, I visited the nurse about it at my institution and she said it looked inflamed like maybe a throat infection. I am a healthy weight and fit and do not have any history of diabetes in the family so I am unsure what I should do or what you people think it is, It seems to be better than from a few days ago ?

Thanks for writing.How are you?
Without examination,confirming a diagnosis is tough but various possibilities for your symptoms are there. Pharyngitis can lead to dryness of throat. If chronic pharyngitis is diagnosed, a course of oral antibiotics or steroids can be considered.  

Are you taking any medicines like diuretics, antihistamines, antidepressants and muscle relaxants? They can also cause dry throat and mouth. Alcohol abuse, stress and depression,diabetes and hypothyroidism are other important causes.

Other medical conditions include nerve (to salivary glands) damage, Autoimmune conditions such as Sjogren's syndrome and sarcoidosis - the inflammation of body tissue.

I feel that you should get yourself thoroughly examined by a physician/ENT specialist and start with the treatment. Till that time, chew sugar free gum or suck on sugar free sweets and drink plenty of water and avoid caffeine drinks.Pls don’t smoke tobacco or drink alcohol and brush and floss thoroughly and regularly.

Hope this helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.