Failed umbilical hernia

52 yr old male asks..A few years ago I had an umbilical hernia repaired. As far as I can remember she did not use a mesh, just super glue. Over the years it has produced skin tag type flaps that would get painful and itchy. Recently it really flared and a few of these "tags" erupted and now the area around the belly button is like a hard ring and tender. There is also a pinkish red ring around the belly button as well. No discharges just tender and uncomfortable. Any ideas what to do or happened?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
From your description it looks like that this person has developed keloids on the scar tissue. This can itch and look like tags. Treatment is surgical excision or even cryosurgery. Please ask this person to consult his surgeon. Take care!
I would go see your doctor, or possibly the surgeon who did the surgery.  It is rare to do an umbilical hernia without mesh these days, unless it is a tiny hernia.  While unlikely, after all this time, it could be an infection of the repair.  It is also very possible that it is an infection completely unrelated to the surgery, but either way it should be checked out.
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.