Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Food intolerance, GERD, esophagitis, or something else?

I started taking antibiotics for a bug bite. Soon my chest was hurting and I was congested and felt like I couldn’t breathe. EKG was fine, and went off antibiotics to see if it would help. However, it continued and I was soon prescribed Omperazole for what the convent care thought was GERD, or esophagitis from my cough and congestion. They said if it wasn’t better in 2 weeks of to primary.
Two weeks later there was some relief but still worried about chest pains and coughing up mucus etc. I went to a family practice PA and I felt as though she was rushed and she had me do a blood test, saying she will call later. Its been 4 days since that visit and I don’t know if I should continue taking Omperazole? She gave me 30 capsules and I have only taken 12.
Is this a food intolerance like wheat or lactose, or just heart burn/ GERD or something else? I have been eating fairly healthy and am not overweight. I am tired of feeling this way, help!
You most likely need probiotics (beneficial bacteria) since you have taken antibiotics.  My mother has GERD and treats it with betaine HCL with pepsin supplements (to increase stomach acid) and digestive enzyme supplements.

Excerpt from Chris Kresser - Get rid of heartburn and GERD forever in three simple steps...

"..heartburn and GERD are not caused by too much stomach acid. They are caused by too little stomach acid and bacterial overgrowth in the stomach and intestines. Therefore successful treatment is based on restoring adequate stomach acid production and eliminating bacterial overgrowth.

"This can be accomplished by following the “three Rs” of treating heartburn and GERD naturally:

Reduce factors that promote bacterial overgrowth and low stomach acid.
Replace stomach acid, enzymes and nutrients that aid digestion and are necessary for health.
Restore beneficial bacteria and a healthy mucosal lining in the gut."
Hello~You need to take a good, high potency probiotic to put the friendly bacteria in your system that the antibiotic has removed, this might help the acid reflux and pains.

Also, some doctors, if they don't see anything sinister in the lab results don't call, so maybe not hearing from your GP is a good thing. I would certainly call and find out if you are still concerned.