Genital Rash and discomfort
Last October, I had unprotected sex.  Then in late December, I began to develop a rash on the head of my penis that was red and extremely itchy.  The skin also looks, although hard to describe, sort of scaley.  I've tried anti-fungal creams but nothing changed.  Then I tried Novacort, but didn't see a difference.  In case it was an allergic reaction, I've changed my laundry detergent, my shower soap, and even bought all new underwear.  But still nothing.

One other thing I've noticed has been numerous amounts of cold sore break outs around my mouth.  Now we all know that cold sores are actually herpes, but I usually only have one break out a year.  Since October, I've had at least 5 or 6 breakouts, which leads me to believe the two conditions are related.

My family physician seems to think it's only dermititis and if it wasn't for the cold sores, I might be satisfied with that.  However, I believe there is more to this and that maybe my doctor just doesn't know what he's talking about.

Could this be a STD, possibly HPV?  What would make the herpes virus surface so frequently?  Are there any recommendations for treating these symptoms?  Are there any additional questions I could answer to help narrow this down?
If possible, you need to post this question to Dr. Hansfield on the STD forum.  I think it costs $15, but he can assess what you describe and give you further advice.
Did your doc even do any std tests?  If not, go to a free/low cost clinic, and get tested. If nothing else, it will ease your mind.
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.