Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Gland issues

Well basically in the summer, I was subject to severe bouts of recurrent tonsilitis for a total of up to 7/8 weeks. In this time I think I must have taken about 6 course of antibiotics. I was tested for glandular fever twice, which came back negative. Since then my tonsilitis has all cleared up, but now my tonsils are permanently enlarged; nothing huge, just are about the size of two peas at the back of my mouth. Also, the glands in my neck are always enlarged, and there is a small lump on the underside of my chin towards my neck, slightly to the right hand side of my throat. This is about the size of a pea and can be defined visually when I stretch my neck to look upwards.

Is this lump underneath ym chin just another swollen gland? I am really worried it might be something else and havent had it checked out yet, but do you think it is related to my illness over the summer?

Thanks for writing to the forum!

Yes, severe throat infection can lead to swollen lymph nodes in the neck. These resolve over a period of time. In your case they may persist longer due to chronic tonsillitis. However, incase you start feeling ok and the tonsils settle down and the neck swellings still persist, it will be worthwhile to get a swab culture of the throat done to see what organism is causing the infection.

The swelling may be a neurofibroma or lipoma too. It could also be due to TB. It is difficult to comment really without examining.

Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!