Gluten Intolerance

I was just wondering if there is a difference between gluten intolerance and celiac's disease. Since I was a child I have been getting abdominal pains and ultrasounds over the years turned up nothing. I also remember I hated eating breakfast because I would feel sick afterwards. In the past year it's been getting worse and every day by lunch I was in pain and bloated and experiencing bad bowel movements amoung other things. A friend suggested I might be gluten intolerant, so I cut out all food containing gluten, and started to feel better. I also so my doctor who said I might have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and has also reffered me to a specialist. So I was wondering if IBS can occur on its own, is it a symptom or linked to gluten intolerance? I don't think it's as serious as Celiac's but is there a difference?
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Well, gluten intolerance and celiac disease are almost the same. Gluten is a complex protein present in four main grains---wheat, rye, barley and oats. If you have gluten intolerance, then you probably have celiac disease or Non Celiac gluten sensitivity. There are blood tests called celiac test to detect gluten intolerance. IBS is different from these two and can co exist with either.
Hope this helps. Take care!