Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Gnats or Fruit flies following me

This may sound very unususal,and beleive me I wouldn't even mention it, if it hadn't become such an anomoly to me. For the past 3 months or so I have noticed that I have gnats flying around me at home. Just a couple,but they follow me from room to room, wherever I go. They also follow me to work,and I have them in my office too. Then when I go to another person's office, they follow me in there too. So essentially it's me they are after. There is no food or fruit anywhere,and I do not wear cologne. I have not done anything different from when they were not constantly around me. I am not sure why they are around me, but as you can see, it has become a problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you
first of all if you have plants around where you are to then you should get rid of them, plants are one of the main places that Gnats/fruit flies are attracted to because of the moist soil from being watered. good luck keeby and let me know how it goes.
I have no plants inside my office or house. There are trees outside,and I have ivy growing on my house. But it just feels like they are constantly around me personally.

Thank you for replying Paul.
Gee that's odd.  The only thing I can think of is that you are exuding a scent that they like.  Have you got a blood sugar problem like diabetes?

Good luck.
Do others notice these knats around you? What do they say or think?
Not trying to be rude, but do others see the flies?  Also, do you wear deodorant?  If so, what kind?
I know it's odd, I even hesitated posting it. I do not have diabetes. I know others see them but they have not mentioned anything. I wear deodarant,and it's the same one I ususally wear. I am just as stumped!
Don't feel too odd.  I have this problem, too, and so did another girl in my high school.  It just happens to the best of us.  :)
I have the same problem and I am at a loss what to do. I feel uncomfortable because when I go to someone's home, people begin swatting and I know I brought the gnats in.  I would love a doctor to coment on this.  This problem is making my life difficult.  I also do not have diabetes, rarely wear perfume, wear clean clothes, wash my hair regularly and wear the same deodorant I've been wearing for year. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've read that taking a B complex vitamin will make you taste "bad" to biting insects.
I wonder if taking it would subtly change your aroma and chase away the gnats.

Wishing you the best,
Carol
Well from what I have found they are attracted to low salt but are repelled by high salt. We secrete salt from sweating. Are you retaining water? Do you happen to have well water where you are? Do you have high or low blood pressure? I have to eat more salt because I have very low blood pressure. Well water could be another reason as it can contain iron. By using a water softener which used salt to soften the water could help. I think your answer could very well be in your water even if you don't have a well. Buy a kit at the store to test your water. Your pipes could be a problem too if you don't have a well. Anyway I hope you get your answer.
Paula
wow...they follow me too! it's so embarrassing! i work on the 43rd floor and theyre still around me at work! i know it's me!!!
i too have no idea what it could be. i'm clean and dont wear perfume, etc etc etc...
i feel like pig pen.

i too hope a doc could respond to this.

best,
pp
I've had that happen, but not regularly. It is possible that the shampoo or soap  you are using is fruit based or fruit scented. I would try switching out all my soaps/shampoos/detergents to something else and see if the problem resolves itself.