Gnats or Fruit flies following me

This may sound very unususal,and beleive me I wouldn't even mention it, if it hadn't become such an anomoly to me. For the past 3 months or so I have noticed that I have gnats flying around me at home. Just a couple,but they follow me from room to room, wherever I go. They also follow me to work,and I have them in my office too. Then when I go to another person's office, they follow me in there too. So essentially it's me they are after. There is no food or fruit anywhere,and I do not wear cologne. I have not done anything different from when they were not constantly around me. I am not sure why they are around me, but as you can see, it has become a problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you
first of all if you have plants around where you are to then you should get rid of them, plants are one of the main places that Gnats/fruit flies are attracted to because of the moist soil from being watered. good luck keeby and let me know how it goes.
Gee that's odd.  The only thing I can think of is that you are exuding a scent that they like.  Have you got a blood sugar problem like diabetes?

Good luck.
I have no plants inside my office or house. There are trees outside,and I have ivy growing on my house. But it just feels like they are constantly around me personally.

Thank you for replying Paul.
Do others notice these knats around you? What do they say or think?
Not trying to be rude, but do others see the flies?  Also, do you wear deodorant?  If so, what kind?
I know it's odd, I even hesitated posting it. I do not have diabetes. I know others see them but they have not mentioned anything. I wear deodarant,and it's the same one I ususally wear. I am just as stumped!
Don't feel too odd.  I have this problem, too, and so did another girl in my high school.  It just happens to the best of us.  :)
I have the same problem and I am at a loss what to do. I feel uncomfortable because when I go to someone's home, people begin swatting and I know I brought the gnats in.  I would love a doctor to coment on this.  This problem is making my life difficult.  I also do not have diabetes, rarely wear perfume, wear clean clothes, wash my hair regularly and wear the same deodorant I've been wearing for year. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've read that taking a B complex vitamin will make you taste "bad" to biting insects.
I wonder if taking it would subtly change your aroma and chase away the gnats.

Wishing you the best,
Carol
Well from what I have found they are attracted to low salt but are repelled by high salt. We secrete salt from sweating. Are you retaining water? Do you happen to have well water where you are? Do you have high or low blood pressure? I have to eat more salt because I have very low blood pressure. Well water could be another reason as it can contain iron. By using a water softener which used salt to soften the water could help. I think your answer could very well be in your water even if you don't have a well. Buy a kit at the store to test your water. Your pipes could be a problem too if you don't have a well. Anyway I hope you get your answer.
Paula
wow...they follow me too! it's so embarrassing! i work on the 43rd floor and theyre still around me at work! i know it's me!!!
i too have no idea what it could be. i'm clean and dont wear perfume, etc etc etc...
i feel like pig pen.

i too hope a doc could respond to this.

best,
pp
I've had that happen, but not regularly. It is possible that the shampoo or soap  you are using is fruit based or fruit scented. I would try switching out all my soaps/shampoos/detergents to something else and see if the problem resolves itself.
I'm 46 and knats have been following me all my life, from my childhood drinking NY city water to my horse farm on well water in Virginia.  I tried taking daily b-complex vitamin shots for months with no deterrence to the gnats whatsoever. I have no blood sugar problems, low blood pressure and a very low heart rate which I understand is common to rh negative blood types, which I think is what the gnats are attracted to, just my hunch, as I could be standing with 10 people and all the gnats are above my head.  I use lots of Deet, so if it's poisonous, I should be dead, but am one of the healthiest people I know.  It's easier to blend in on a farm, but I can see why you're self conscious bringing gnats into a high-rise office daily!  I'll check back periodically in the event I discover an answer, as I research this often. What is your blood type? I'm O negative.
all i can say is that i know someone who had gnats nest in her hair and she had to go to the doctors about it. This may not be the case for you but just thought i would mention it. good luck hope you get this sorted out soon.
I have the same problem, it drives me insane!  My blood type is also O negative.  I wonder if that could be it.  I would be interested to know what the blood type is of other people with the same problem
I too have Rh negative blood.... A-, and I have noticed this problem with fruit flies/gnats.
I have the negative blood and same problem

I don't have any problems with fluit flies/gnats, but I know that mosquitos love me. They leave my husband alone and go after me every time !
Help!! My sister has the same thing and had it for over a year now. This morning I was brushing my sons hair and I found an adult flying out of it. There is NO chance that it was just passing by I brushed it out. No one will believe my sister and she has cut her hair VERY short. Tried mayonaise, bleach, hair color, vasoline, vinegar, almost everything she can think of. I am so pleased to see that she is not the only one who has this she feels as if she is. She now has big bald spots on her head. We have been searching for help. She has been turned away from emergency rooms, hair stylists, specialists, dermatalogists, she cant take another dr telling her to go home she is crazy. She is on the verge of a breakdown. I am so glad you are talking about this. If anyone has any ideas we can investigate please contact me at ***@**** with the title bug help. I need some answers for my sweet sister, and how to prevent them from coming to the rest of my family.
I guess the email addy didnt work. But I will definently be back checking in. My sister doesnt have any of the above issues, diabeties, perfume, etc., she is pretty healthy. I am not sure of her blood type, but will find out. I am however rh- and have been around her often, with no bugs following me yet. I pray they dont, because I see the pain and loss in her eyes.
Hello everybody,
I've had this problem for over 3 years now. I finally realised that the flies do not live in my hair, but that they are attracted to me. They follow me in school, restaurants, coffee shops, just about anywhere. I am so desperate to find a solution to my problem. Has anyone had luck finding a "cure"????? My self-esteem has been affected in a really bad way. People think you are dirty when you are not. Please help!
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.