Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

HELP ME FIGURE OUT BLOOD WORK!!!! PLEASE!

DHEA - 507 HIGH
BIOTIN VIT B7 - 179 LOW
H. PYLORI - 1.28 HIGH
VITAMIN D- 15.7 LOW

WHAT DOES THIS POINT TO?
I am sorry I do not have good news for you.
“As almost all DHEA is derived from the adrenal glands, blood measurements of DHEAS/DHEA are useful to detect excess adrenal activity as seen in adrenal cancer or hyperplasia, including certain forms of congenital adrenal hyperplasia.”

“Low Vitamin D levels are very common in patients with hyperparathyroidism. Many patients with parathyroid disease will have low Vitamin D levels in their blood.”

Causes of Biotin Vitamin B7 or Vitamin K deficiency: “prolonged use of drugs, such as the anticoagulant warfarin and antibiotics that destroy normal intestinal bacteria; decreased flow of bile to the small intestine from obstruction of the bile duct or bile fistula; malabsorption of vitamin K due to sprue, pellagra, bowel resection, ileitis, or ulcerative colitis; chronic hepatic disease, with impaired response of hepatic ribosomes to vitamin K; and cystic fibrosis, with fat malabsorption. Vitamin K deficiency seldom results from insufficient dietary intake of this vitamin.”

“Signs of Biotin Deficiency: In general, appetite and growth are decreased. Dermatologic symptoms include dermatitis, alopecia, and achromotrichia (absence or loss of pigment in the hair. Perosis (a shortening and thickening of bones) is seen in the skeleton. FLKS (fatty liver and kidney syndrome) and hepatic steatosis also can occur.”

H-pylori: “It causes a chronic low-level inflammation of the stomach lining and is strongly linked to the development of duodenal and gastric ulcers and stomach cancer.”

However this is just the reading of the report. A warning and word of caution: This report has to be clinically co-related. I have no history or symptoms to guide me. Please consult your physician at the earliest.

Please let me know if there is anything else.

So the report is basically telling me I may have an adrenal tumor, my thyroid isn't functioning correctly, my Biotin deficiency is causing me to lose my hair and I have a precursor to an ulcer in my stomach. Am I falling apart for any reason in particular?

I guess what I'm asking do all these problems boil down to one big one? And are these numbers outrageous? My dermatologist didn't give me much info. How urgent is it and are these numbers pointing to cancer?

Your thyroid is working ok, but your parathyroid is not, according to your report. I am not sure which age group you are in.

“Typical normal ranges for males are:

Age 18-19: 108-441 ug/dL
Age 20-29: 280-640 ug/dL
Age 30-39: 120-520 ug/dL
Age 40-49: 95-530 ug/dL
Age 50-59: 70-310 ug/dL
Age 60-69: 42-290 ug/dL
Age 69 and older: 28-175 ug/dL
Note: ug/dL = microgram per deciliter

Biotin:

Age 0-6 months: 5 mcg/day
Age 7-12 months: 6 mcg/day
Age 1-3 years: 8 mcg/day
Age 4-8 years: 12 mcg/day
Age 9-13 years: 20 mcg/day
Age 14 -18 years: 25 mcg/day
19 and older: 30 mcg/day”

About H. pylori and Vitamin D, I cannot comment as I am not sure the method used.

Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. Talk to your doctor about the meaning of your specific test results.

Please see your physician at the earliest. It is difficult to say what the reports exactly point to without the clinical co-relation.

Thank you so much! It feels good to finally get answers at least for the better part of a year i've been so ill and because i'm in my early 20s every single doctor (we're talking about 10) told me it was in my head or it was depression or anxiety attacks. At least I know something is going on that can be treated.

Last question: Would the parathyroid not working be hyperthyroid or hypothyroid? I just wanted to do a little research on treatment. Again thanks!!!
also my thyroid levels were supposedly fine. does this make any sense? should i be alarmed?

Thanks for keeping me posted.
I am glad I could provide some help. Parathyroid is another gland. It is not same as thyroid. “The parathyroid glands are small endocrine glands in the neck, usually located behind the thyroid gland, which produce parathyroid hormone. In rare cases the parathyroid glands are located within the thyroid glands. Most often there are four parathyroid glands, but some people have six or even eight.”And yes, the throid gland function can be normal when the parathyroid function is abnormal. In your case, entirely based on the report, you have hyperactivity of your parathyroid gland.
“The single major disease of parathyroid glands is overactivity of one or more of the parathyroid lobes, which make too much parathyroid hormone causing a potentially serious calcium imbalance. This is called hyperparathyroidism; it leads to hypercalcemia and osteitis fibrosa cystica. Since hyperparathyroidism was first described in 1925, the symptoms have become known as "moans, groans, stones, and bones." The primary treatment for this disease is the surgical removal of the faulty gland.

Modern high frequency ultrasound can see parathyroid masses, even before they cause high calcium. They are called parathyroid incidentalomas. If a patient has elevated calcium, the ultrasound can be used to locate the abnormal glands. The use of ultrasound guided FNA, and parathyroid hormone washings can confirm the abnormal glands. A blood calcium 15-30 minutes after the biopsy can help determine if the disease is caused by a single abnormal gland or multiple glands.”

Hence you must get your blood calcium level tested and get high frequency ultrasound of your neck done. I think you should see an Endocrine specialist since your two glands that is adrenal gland (present over your kidneys) and parathyroid gland are not normal.

Please let me know if there is any thing else. Please keep me posted.