Aa
A
A
A
Close
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Hand rash and recurring mild fever

About three months ago, I woke up with a slight red rash on both wrists. Over the course of the next few weeks, the rash progressed to cover the back of both of my hands but not extending far up the digits. It became deep red, dry, and tight, with little cuts around my knuckles. During this time, I felt particularly unwell and feverish (though I wasn't monitoring my temperature at the time). Though the fever and malaise eventually improved, the rash persisted and worsened. My doctor looked at the rash and believed it to be scabies--though I was not itchy--and prescribed me permethrin and ivermectin. The permethrin--and any cream--burned when I applied it to the rash, but within a few days the rash had indeed improved but not completely resolved. Gradually it began to get worse again, so I retreated with the permethrin, with similar results until the rash began to worsen once again. I went to the dermatologist a couple weeks ago, who diagnosed it as nonspecific dermatitis and prescribed a topical steroid. He did not believe it to be scabies and did not even think it worth it to do a skin scraping. (Side note: a friend with whom I had shared a bed was diagnosed with scabies around the same time.)

The rash has not gotten nearly as bad as it was in February, but that may be because of the topical I've been using. The fever and malaise comes back in waves, though--a few days on and a few days off. I've been monitoring my temperature over the last 10 days or so, and it's gotten as high as 100.1, but it's usually in a range of 99.1-99.9 when feverish. Other days I have no fever at all and feel fine -- except for the anxiety of not knowing what's wrong with me.

I'm 29 and in otherwise good health -- I had barely seen a doctor in years until recently. I've had 2 CBCs and 2 full ranges of STD tests in the last 2 months. Everything came back perfectly normal, except for slightly elevated bilirubin on both tests (1.6 and 1.3).

As a prelude, I had a week or two in December (a month prior to the rash first appearing) where I was feverish, fatigued, and generally feeling unwell. Not sure if this is related.

I can't help but believe the fever, malaise, and rash are somehow related, but no one has seemed to figure it out. Any ideas?
1 Responses
Hi, Lyme disease can cause a rash (not always the bulls eye) with the onset of fever and malaise. You should consider looking up a Lyme literate medical doctor (google "how to find a Lyme literate medical doctor" because your regular MD won't refer you to one. They will have you tested through Igenex labs because the regular Lyme test that your MD would run (Elisa) is known to be very inaccurate (mine was a false negative but I tested positive through Igenex). Lyme is very political and usually not diagnosed by the regular medical community. Please consider this as if it is not diagnosed early it can be very hard to treat. This happened to me. I had the rashes and fever and I  progressed to have many other symptoms because my doctors were not able to diagnose me. It has ruined my life at the moment but I'm treating it now and some symptoms have improved. It's totally worth the money to get properly tested through Igenex.
Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1518219421
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482853437
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.