Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Hard nodule at the base of the back of my neck that has recently become painful

I'm a 40 year female, in overall good health. I have a hard nodule at the base of the back of my neck, where my neck meets my shoulder. It's been there for years, but only recently became painful. It's about the size of a dime and it's immoveable. It almost feels like it's embedded into the muscle now and is causing a burning pain, which it never used to.

I don't have any other symptoms, other than fatigue, but that could be from other reasons. Can anyone tell me what this might be and what type of doctor I would go see to have this checked out? I have a PPO insurance policy, so would rather go straight to specialist and not have to take the time off work to have to go to primary and then to specialist.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
It's kind of difficult to tell what type of doctor you should see without looking at the lump. Is the lump irregularly shaped at all? Has it grown? Is it visible? I would have the lump checked out by an ENT, either way.