Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

High ammonia levels

My partner is currently in hospital. He started acting very odd last Saturday and went downhill till he didn't know who I was or where he was so gp sent him to a&e last Monday.  They finally diagnosed him yesterday with high ammonia levels. All other tests are clear liver etc are fine. He had been suffering with urine problems and constipation for a few months before this started. My question is how long before he comes back to normal as he still is hallucinating, has no memory, acts very childlike and generally disturbed ( hes usually perfectly healthy other than epilepsy which is controlled with medication. I'm desperate to know when he will be back to normal ( if ever) and if it will have any lasting effects. I'm so concerned and it's heartbreaking to see him like he is. They are treating him with antibiotics and lactose but he doesn't seem to be improving
I  feel I need to point out he does not have hep c not sure why my question went in this group I'm new to the site